• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Wilwood break question

Not trying to throw salt on your wounds but if you would swap them junky ton axles with some rockwell's then you can run down to the autozone and get a set of toyota calipers and some chrome valve stem covers and you can stop on a dime but you do what you want

Re: Re: Wilwood break question

paradisepwoffrd said:
Do you have separate pedals or 1 with balance bar?

What issue are you having? No stopping, stiff pedal, soft pedal, etc?

When trying to diagnose/improve, it's best if you can isolate the systems.

1 pedal with balance bar. Doesn't stop very well. With 7/8 f&r the pedal was stiff. With 3/4 f & 7/8 r pedal is softer but same issue with stopping.

just did brakes for friends buggy all corner wilwood 1.75" pistons dynalites and tandem boosted 15/16" mc same set up as my buggy and same issues. soft pedal . not so good brakes.

been trying to figure the issue and found out wilwood calibers flex like crazy is. makes the pedal feel soft .
more you push the brakes more they flex and they loose braking power because pistons get tilted.

Re: Re: Wilwood break question

jmf said:
1 pedal with balance bar. Doesn't stop very well. With 7/8 f&r the pedal was stiff. With 3/4 f & 7/8 r pedal is softer but same issue with stopping.

Stay 7/8 on both ends and lengthen the pedal for better ratio/more force ?

Waffle said:
Only the Wilwood dynalites and older dynapro designs have a reputation for flexing. Step up to the forged DP6A calipers that use the exact same mount pattern and the flex issues go away. They cost twice as much for a reason.

http://www.spidertrax.com/products/Brakes

https://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/CaliperList.aspx?subname=Forged%20Dynapro%206A%20Lug%20Mount

You are right on... That being said, I have watched mine and they haven't flexed at all (I use the dynalites) - but I also somewhat expect them to eventually. I talked with several different folks with WAY more experience than me about it, and the general consensus was that the wider your rotor (calling for the spaced out calipers) the more apt they are to flex. If you look at how they are built, the two outer piece sandwich a "spacer" and that is how they adapt them for wider or thinner rotors; at least that is what it appears. Since I am running the thin spidertrax rotors, there isnt much room for the caliper to flex. It might still flex a tiny bit, but its absolutely not visible to the eye - and my brakes work excellent. ??? ???

If they do ever flex, then its time to swap to the 6 piston...but for now, I am absolutely more than happy.

I ended up with the 1" mc on the rear pedal and 7/8 on the front. Both pedals feel pretty close to the same. I will drive it some tomorrow, hopefully the stopping has improved

Latest posts