• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Realistic cost to convert YJ Juggy to skinnable buggy

tonybolton

Bypass Crawler
I'm sure a few know / have seen what I currently wheel...most are jealous of my hood so I know most should know. ;)

I don't do work / repair like this. I don't mind maintaining and fixing random things that break but large/heavy stuff I don't like to F-with...or engines...or transmissions....or wiring harness's.

Tires / axles / trans case / transmission / engine /steering are all perfectly fine for what I like to do, so I have the main stuff. Hell, even the link bars if I can salvage them. The main reason for a potential swap over would be:

More comfortable(maybe?)
More visibility
Lighter
Easier to work on if needed
Coilovers/churched up air shocks
Better up travel
More valuable in long run

Things i'd like/want:
Swingable / opening doors
Storage for large tool box
Storage for a 2 person cooler
Easily removable skins to not look like a spaghetti bowl if needed

Just a trail rig. Still be riding same trails at Windrock.

Things i'd need to pay for:

Chassis.... 3+ grand?
4 fancy coilovers / air shocks....1.5+ grand?
Labor by reputable person / shop.... Billionteen+?
Time frame? ????????
Misc......1+ grand?

Hope this is TECHY enough. I may've left out the torque specs on the toggle switch retaining rings i'd be using but i'm open to suggestions on most things and have thick enough skin to not cry over another persons opinion.

No rush whatsoever. Just thinking outloud....

WOD Jeep chassis +$5k in parts + $10k in labor

I think you'd be better off in the long run selling it as is and buying another rig that is more buggy

And, even a tagged/street legal full buggy with a 5.7 Vortec adapted to a 727 auto with a LP60 front is going to worth maybe $20k max, even if it's super nice and a fresh build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree ^^^ and ur shock prices are off unless ya buy used Sell it and buy something else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dwa2469 said:
I can't believe people are talking about Tony B needing to worry about money :JRich: :stir:

This is my thought, maybe this is a distraction while he buys WOD and EOR and brings in Coleworx for a secretary

TBItoy said:
WOD Jeep chassis +$5k in parts + $10k in labor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it will be a heck of a lot more in labor if it goes to WOD

I think Jimmy Smith still does the "bring me all your parts + $12k" (or something like that) for a turn key on one of his buggies.

kmcminn said:
Sell yours, buy something and make it your own. Builds take a long time and huge cost overruns come with them.

I have a hard time buying used modified things. I took a chance on the current YJ and it has honestly been great. I can't thank Jesse Slaughter enough for being honest about everything and doing great work. I dare say this purchase was almost a good INVESTMENT as it kept me from constantly working on 1/2 ton stuff and constantly buying parts for where and how I wanted to trail ride. The peace of mind has been the best part of wheeling for me.

My power-train and drive-train are all proven to be 100% reliable, Shaved rear 14 bolt, LP60 up front is fine for what I do and it has all chromoly and bombproof knuckles / lockouts.

Keep your jeep,
add ORIs for 3gs (all said and done)
keep firewall but cut rest of body
make panels

Id say you could do that under 5gs all said and done.

P said:

I'm fairly good with numbers...it's a big part of my regular job and life. I know how fast nuts/bolts/tabs/hoses/brackets can add up. I don't begin something unless I have a set goal / budget / complete date. I'm sure you guys have seen and heard that before, but i'm quite an odd individual. Ever seen the movie The Accountant? I'm a lot like that...'cept I can't fight worth a damn.

I built my white Mustang this way. I even budgeted the time frame down to WHEN to buy parts for best prices. Thanksgiving / Christmas discount codes were awesome back then. Not the bullshit of FREE SHIPPING / 5% OFF(with purchase of 1000$ of ****) we have today.

Bebop said:
Keep your jeep,
add ORIs for 3gs (all said and done)
keep firewall but cut rest of body
make panels

Id say you could do that under 5gs all said and done.

This is what I thought, but the "pig in a prom dress" saying keeps bouncing around in my head.

tonybolton said:
I'm fairly good with numbers...it's a big part of my regular job and life. I know how fast nuts/bolts/tabs/hoses/brackets can add up. I don't begin something unless I have a set goal / budget / complete date. I'm sure you guys have seen and heard that before, but i'm quite an odd individual. Ever seen the movie The Accountant? I'm a lot like that...'cept I can't fight worth a damn.

I built my white Mustang this way. I even budgeted the time frame down to WHEN to buy parts for best prices. Thanksgiving / Christmas discount codes were awesome back then. Not the bullshit of FREE SHIPPING / 5% OFF(with purchase of 1000$ of ****) we have today.

MattO was the same way .

All my PSC stuff ( most hard parts ) I purchase through Summit Racing. It's cray how much you can get through them, cheaper and free shipping over 100 bux

tonybolton said:
This is what I thought, but the "pig in a prom dress" saying keeps bouncing around in my head.

You'd rather have a pig in a pig dress ? ??? :D

I would rather NOT have that....but that's what I think my YJ would be if I threw coilovers/ORi's on it(mounting / angles / packaging / not full potential or benefit).

Kinda like rollin' through the hood and seein' a Ford pinto with a custom paint job and 5 grand Forgiato wheels.