• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Realistic cost to convert YJ Juggy to skinnable buggy

smbroady82 said:
it will be a heck of a lot more in labor if it goes to WOD

I think Jimmy Smith still does the "bring me all your parts + $12k" (or something like that) for a turn key on one of his buggies.

Yeah I was thinking a home fabricator like myself, working on it after their day job, not a full blown shop where 2-3 guys would work on it and knock it out in a week.

Plus how much detail work would be farmed out? literally "Turn Key" with all wiring, gauges, plumbing, etc is going to be a LOT more expensive than just having a shop/fabricator do the heavy lifting.

tonybolton said:
$6500 when said and done. I'd need a heavy Hardline HiRollers discount to make that happen.

What other options were you thinking?

Have someone custom build a buggy chassis and fill/skin it with your parts? (I'm gonna say that will be more expensive than the WOD chassis route)

or throw the Motobilt catalog at your current frame and re-do some tube work?

you're already back-halfed and tube, so add coilovers + front half tube frame?

The WOD chassis won't address visibility. I like goatbilt and Bent Fab for a chassis if you want to minimize how much figuring out you'll need to do.

I can't comment on cost as I stuck to the juggy on mine. It's a lot of work making a juggy have up travel, but it's possible. She's still a fatty with crappy visibility.

TBItoy said:
or throw the Motobilt catalog at your current frame and re-do some tube work?

you're already back-halfed and tube, so add coilovers + front half tube frame?

Uuuughhhh.....it's like the old build a D30/D44 or stock tons debate.....only on a higher investment path. I was really looking into buying Scott Grubbs(Grubbicon) orange buggy and un-pimping it a little to do some quieter trailer bombing but just couldn't jump off the ledge.

tonybolton said:
Uuuughhhh.....it's like the old build a D30/D44 or stock tons debate.....only on a higher investment path. I was really looking into buying Scott Grubbs(Grubbicon) orange buggy and un-pimping it a little to do some quieter trailer bombing but just couldn't jump off the ledge.

is keeping a streetable title important?

lots of rigs in the mid/low 20K range have all that you seek...

TBItoy said:
is keeping a streetable title important?

lots of rigs in the mid/low 20K range have all that you seek...

No...i'd just do the cookie cutter JK on 35's if streetable was desired.

kmcminn said:
You would be money ahead to do that I promise. I know of several really nice rigs right around 25 to 30k and it would cost a lot more to build them.

That is the direction i'm leaning.....I really like my rig though and would hate to get rid of any part of it. I'll be keeping my eyes and ears to the streets....errr.....dirt.

sleepsontoilet said:
I really like the JHF/Goatbuilt Chassis. AJ Spaay just finished his with Chris Roes.

I think AJ's is probably the cleanest nicest jhf chassis build in the country. That car did awesome at trail hero, he can drive

Really sounds like you want a jeep... the questions are.. are you wanting to push your driving up a notch? Do you want to have a buggy to make your same trails easier? I will tell you a linked jeep will never do buggy things, a buggy will never be comfortable like a jeep. My advice if you've never owned one, buy used. Itll cost pennies on the dollar. Then you can see if the constant maintenance is something you like sping all the time. If you build new youll be lucky to get %50 back

POR said:
I think AJ's is probably the cleanest nicest jhf chassis build in the country. That car did awesome at trail hero, he can drive

Theres only 4 completed on the trail so far.

Either way sell what you have and buy something similar to what you want

Re: Re: Realistic cost to convert YJ Juggy to skinnable buggy

Bebop said:
Keep your jeep,
add ORIs for 3gs (all said and done)
keep firewall but cut rest of body
make panels

Id say you could do that under 5gs all said and done.
Throw some stickies on that list too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

POR said:

I must be thinking of a different guy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181008-130250_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20181008-130250_YouTube.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 112
stuftmunky2k said:

Really.... cuz i counted 9 at trail hero lol..
Let me rephrase then, AJ's is one of the nicest built buggys in the country. His attention to small detail is crazy

POR said:
stuftmunky2k said:

Really.... cuz i counted 9 at trail hero lol..
Let me rephrase then, AJ's is one of the nicest built buggys in the country. His attention to small detail is crazy

His or his builders attention to detail? Chris Roes seems to be a badass when it comes to building buggies. Also Doozy was a bad girl too.

tonybolton said:
No...i'd just do the cookie cutter JK on 35's if streetable was desired.

That is the direction i'm leaning.....I really like my rig though and would hate to get rid of any part of it. I'll be keeping my eyes and ears to the streets....errr.....dirt.

So you don't necessarily want a "Jeep buggy", just a buggy

One observation: Just having coilovers, or being full tube frame, doesn't necessarily make the rig better than what you have now.

You have to tune the coilovers to perform the way you want them to (and set up sway bars, limit straps, bump stops correctly).
otherwise it's pretty damn hard to beat coilsprings and whiteshocks...

$22k seems like a pretty good deal to get into a full on buggy with good parts.
I'm not super stoked about the HP60 rear axle, but it wouldn't be expensive to swap in a 14b if it ever gave you trouble...

http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=57074.0

You're just not admitting that you're bored with it in its current state. Been there, done that. Trying to find stuff wrong with a turnkey point and shoot rig. Either sell it and go get a used buggy, which is a total crapshoot, or make some changes to it like re-design the cage, tweak the suspension with some churched up air shocks so it feels new in your mind. Whatever you do, it will always be a YJuggy which there is really nothing wrong with. Its not like going to a buggy is going to take you that many more places than you go now as the mayor of Windrock.