• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Best Skid Steer for Farm Use

JHALL

Alright, we currently have a New Holland L785, can't remember year, but I want to say late 80's. It has a Perkins diesel (I believe).

We operate my wife's grandparents farm, and either need to fix this machine, or purchase another used machine that runs/operates 100%. The L785 we have now currently does not run. It did run, but had sat for a few months, and now even after charging the battery, will not crank. It's kept under shelter, but outside. Last it was running, it was smoking pretty bad. All of the axle seals leak and it's in pretty rough shape overall. The front loader/attachment is also tweaked or something too. When you go to lock in a bucket or bale spear, you can latch one side, but not the other. It's never been well maintained, atleast as long as her grandpa has had it.

I'm at a crossroads of either having this one fixed/maintained/etc up to good running condition, which I would expect to be atleast $2000+, probably more and still have an old machine, or, find another used, well running machine.

It is primarily used for transporting big bales (5x6), cleaning out small feedlots, moving equipment around, burying dead animals, general farm use, etc. What do you guys have that has been reliable, fairly simple to maintain, etc. or what should I stay away from? Guy across the road has a Bobcat T300 or something and has had quite a few issues with it. I'd be looking for something used.

At our landscaping company we have had 3 Caterpillar machines. The last one is a 257D. We've been happy with these and had minimal problems, but the problems we've had can be traced back to operator error.

That being said, I would also pay attention to what others are using in the area you are, or also what is sold nearby. That helps when something comes up and you do need parts.

333G John Deere pretty badass machine also pretty healthy price tag but we use the **** out of it

I bought a 2016 john der 329 at auction last year for 10,000 and it is full cab with ac and high flow and only 600 hr there are good deals out there on wheel machines

289c Caterpillar here. 2013 with 1500 hrs. been a good machine. I've heard a lot of not so good stuff about newer bobcats being "throw away machines" as one Mexican concrete guy told me.

I talked to an equipment mechanic friend of mine who had similar things to say about the newer Bobcats.

I'd like a tracked machine after using his Bobcat vs the one in question (wheels). But, I realize beggars can't be choosers.

Said friend of mine mentioned a CAT 1845C being a good unit...

We got 2 John Deere 317's on the farm . I like having foot pedals . Some models don't but depends what yur used to. I have a grapple and auger for it. Ain't much u can't do with one . Both machines were bought new now over 2000 hrs only repair is one of them had a water pump replaced.

I've ran quite a few different models over the years and I've always been a fan of Bobcat units. I've always despised John Deere units because every one I've ran has sounded like the hyrdaulics whine like they're gonna blow up. Used to always think it was because I ran some used models on farms when I was a millwright but then I started working for Sunbelt and even our brand new John Deeres did the same thing until this model year it seems like maybe they changed something. I've also noticed all our new John Deeres this year are pilot controls and I don't think our other ones were.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Anything Deere is good but you will pay for it. I'm fixing to buy a few this year and it is amazing who makes what for who.....a lot of those machines have very similar parts. Bobcat is generally underpowered compared to similar models of different brand. You can find good units if you look. We sell ours on Big Iron but they are former fertilizer units so they are rough.

I have an ASV skid steer that is a tank, best drive system out, but it will tear a yard all to crap when turning.

Check out Case. I bought a 04 40xt model to use while building my house. They have the cummins 4bt engines. Only issues I had were general maintenance related (wheel bearings, etc). It had just over 2000 hours on it when I sold it. Sold it to my buddy and its still doing well...

We've got 8 skid steers here at work, 4 are Komatsu's, 2 Cat's and 2 JCB's. Komatsu is no longer producing there models any more which was a good machine. Our 2 Cat's are ok, but heavy and heavy on the bank account. We are really getting to like JCB's because of their out of the box thinking. For one, they are a side entry unit for easy in and out access. They also employee a single arm boom which was questionable at the start because we can break a steel anvil with a rubber hammer. It has way more steel than a twin armed boom and has worked flawlessly so far. Same high pressure hydraulics that we need, just a different type of machine. We are a clearing contractor, so we depend upon our machinery heavily and abuse them as well.

ADMINISTRATOR

BigCountry said:
Check out Case. I bought a 04 40xt model to use while building my house. They have the cummins 4bt engines. Only issues I had were general maintenance related (wheel bearings, etc). It had just over 2000 hours on it when I sold it. Sold it to my buddy and its still doing well...
Also a fan. The 4xx series from 04ish and up are more sorted out. I loved the 90xt but the 450 was way better. Track machines I'm out on case. Maybe tach or cat.

Buy a brand of whatever dealer for close to you. I cant think of any brand I have run that was complete garbage. Its all about what you prefer and parts availability.

I could write a novel on skids steers, but for your use, buy a mid 2000's model and get larger then you think you need. High flow will bring a better resale value long term, along with tracks, but you will pay for both of those options.

Latest posts