• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sterling 10.5 spindle

Couple questions came up in our conversation that will add some tech to this thread. First, what's the bolt size and pattern of a 10.5 hub? We were trying to determine if 14 bolt drive flanges or 60/70 flanges would work. Second, his Sterling 10.5 is 35 spline but it's my understanding that it is a 45 degree pressure angle whereas Dana style 35 spline is a 30 degree pressure angle. Not a big deal as long as you know up front but they are definitely not interchangeable.

redneckengineered said:
I talked to Clint on the phone. Nice guy. This was a fun conversation to have kicking around ideas but he's not working with a lot of power so turns out we're all just day dreaming about badass 40 spline stuff. He's going to replace the spindle and then we talked options about some good 4340 floater shafts. He's either going to go Branik or Mark Williams. I gave him a good price on the MW stuff but the Branik's are still quite a bit cheaper so I wouldn't blame him if he went that route. Either way he should be set for a long while.
Andrew was great talking with you.

Like stated above my buggy is a v6 with around 300hp and 40 inch treps. Nothing wild and i feel going crazy build is over kill.

I have a local friend who may be putting a spindle in for me and I will prolly do a shave kit while we are at it.

Shafts with be as stated above but first I have to get the housing fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warning possible derail, spin off. Can a 14 bolt hub and rotor be redrilled to 8-170mm or will the webbing on the back of the hub be an issue? 3rd

RustyC said:
Warning possible derail, spin off. Can a 14 bolt hub and rotor be redrilled to 8-170mm or will the webbing on the back of the hub be an issue? 3rd
I know I looked at my sterling hub and it gets thin. I feel the 14 bolt would be the same way. I would have to check on my 14 bolt in my burb. Ballistic does make a aluminum 14 bolt hub that is 8x170

redneckengineered said:
Couple questions came up in our conversation that will add some tech to this thread. First, what's the bolt size and pattern of a 10.5 hub? We were trying to determine if 14 bolt drive flanges or 60/70 flanges would work. Second, his Sterling 10.5 is 35 spline but it's my understanding that it is a 45 degree pressure angle whereas Dana style 35 spline is a 30 degree pressure angle. Not a big deal as long as you know up front but they are definitely not interchangeable.

Wheel stud pattern should be 8 on 170

hokie_yj said:
I found an old thread on Pirate that said the Sterling shaft flange was 8x4". Pretty sure that's the same as a 60.

They are 8x4.062 lol. Measured mine the other night to find out.

Good deal, I think that's probably the best way to go. If you can't get Drake to do it James' buddy Mike down here in town might be able to help. I talked to him a little bit about doing the one for my buggy. He has a bar, but he might have to make some pucks. But his house is a badass machine shop so that shouldn't be a problem. Lol.

hokie_yj said:
Good deal, I think that's probably the best way to go. If you can't get Drake to do it James' buddy Mike down here in town might be able to help. I talked to him a little bit about doing the one for my buggy. He has a bar, but he might have to make some pucks. But his house is a badass machine shop so that shouldn't be a problem. Lol.

Mikey bar is to short. We already talked about it.

Ah.

You can always buy your own kit from Dean on Pirate. I think it's about $500. If you go that route I might be interested in splitting it with you.

That sucks, figured it would be some weird ****. I guess the best option is a new spindle, but from the little bit of looking I've done I haven't seen a Sterling spindle available anywhere. I did find one thread on a Ford truck forum where a guy had a bent spindle and made his own replacement. I sent that link to Clint.

I guess you could cut them both off and get some aftermarket 60 or 14 bolt spindles, but then there's the bolt pattern issue.

At this point I'd probably just look for a new housing.

hokie_yj said:
That sucks, figured it would be some weird ****. I guess the best option is a new spindle, but from the little bit of looking I've done I haven't seen a Sterling spindle available anywhere. I did find one thread on a Ford truck forum where a guy had a bent spindle and made his own replacement. I sent that link to Clint.

I guess you could cut them both off and get some aftermarket 60 or 14 bolt spindles, but then there's the bolt pattern issue.

At this point I'd probably just look for a new housing.

I have a line on another housing. I'll cut the spindle out of it and put it in my axle. Redoing all my truss and stuff to work would suck. Manageable but I feel the spindle will be easier

Well little update. Sterlings have a friction welded spindle it seems.

I got a sterling 10.5 from Nick brought it home and lopped the end off
Then proceeded to make make a new spindle pretty much.
Here is where i am right now. What sucks is the tube is as far from true dimensionally id as possible.
58c112c82c84f54ae0b3de5d79329646.jpg
a708b2d518e56cd00bae9b1d678d311b.jpg
a5a167c62bc4fa70f56a6ec32251e5ba.jpg

So now we gotta turn a smidge more of the sleeve. Once that's done I'll see what I got from there.

Latest posts