• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota 5 speed no 1st OR Reverse

smbroady82

so Jackson and I took the trans and cases out when I trashed the cases last time (again) , I got the new one mated up (everything on the cases shifts fine) and we reassembled everything

alright so here is the issue: It will not shift into 1st or Reverse, I've tried every little trick I know. I replaced the shifter bushing and shifter seat (that didn't work either), I put a new clutch in while I had it out, bled the clutch and all that jazz. I had all my gears forward and reverse before we tore into it.

Any ideas? Could the trans being low on fluid cause this? I haven't refilled the cases with fluid but don't know why that would have any affect on it. Grasping for straws here, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I don't know Toyota transmissions but. Is there a shift fork for direction? F-R?
Does 2nd -5th work?

what do you mean by "will not go in"

As in the stick physically wont go into that position? Or it grinds? or?

I've had to shift into 2nd or 3rd before Reverse a lot of times on different Toyotas if it's sitting still on flat ground, otherwise it requires feathering the clutch out, and sometimes it will grind a bit when going into R.

This video shows how it works inside, might give you some idea of whats going on:

Manual Transmission Operation

May not be related, but tranny in my old red toyota would leak gear oil out of the top of it when I would flop or be on my side going through a crevace. One day at AOP, my first time there, was riding with Daniel, Jamie Engel, and can't remember who else, it would get stuck in 1st or reverse. Like had to take the shifter out and use a pry tool to get it to pop out of reverse to get it into forward so I could make it back to the truck. My rig had a **** turning radius so this ordeal frustrated me to no end that day, I ended up making it back to the truck, loaded up and went home I was so mad. Just thinking I was gonna have to replace a tranny or have it rebuilt. Someone mentioned fluid level and I knew it had lost some over the years, but never thought that would make it do it....sure enough, filled it up with gear oil, immediately went back to working perfectly. Good luck.

I topped everything off Josh, I was hoping like heck it was just a fluid issue ... no dice.

After this thread and talking to a few other folks, I think that it is in fact a broke shift fork.. guess it's coming back out :(

I'm assuming the little nissan 5 speed is pretty close to the yota 5 speeds. I've broke 3 of the reverse forks in my sketchy nissan truck, all three times the half that broke off would be lodged between the collar the fork moves and the gear locking it out of reverse and 1st. I ran out of donor forks and ended up just putting it back together with half the fork....it's been runnin that way for almost 2 years at this point, and I havent broke a shift fork since 8)

FlatlandFSJ said:
I'm assuming the little nissan 5 speed is pretty close to the yota 5 speeds. I've broke 3 of the reverse forks in my sketchy nissan truck, all three times the half that broke off would be lodged between the collar the fork moves and the gear locking it out of reverse and 1st. I ran out of donor forks and ended up just putting it back together with half the fork....it's been runnin that way for almost 2 years at this point, and I havent broke a shift fork since 8)

haha maybe that's the ticket then!

You and Ray and everybody down there ok after the storms? I hadn't heard anything from y'all and was wondering.

smbroady82 said:
haha maybe that's the ticket then!

You and Ray and everybody down there ok after the storms? I hadn't heard anything from y'all and was wondering.

We're alive, I got lucky and ended up on the west edge of the bad stuff, we only saw 55-60 mph here. 30+ miles to the east is a different story, town is tore up pretty bad. Just about everyone in the group took some kinda house damage, some worse then others. Ray's been running full tilt at work since it hit, them guys at the fire houses are putting some crazy hours.

FlatlandFSJ said:
We're alive, I got lucky and ended up on the west edge of the bad stuff, we only saw 55-60 mph here. 30+ miles to the east is a different story, town is tore up pretty bad. Just about everyone in the group took some kinda house damage, some worse then others. Ray's been running full tilt at work since it hit, them guys at the fire houses are putting some crazy hours.

I can only imagine, glad everyone is ok!!