• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Electric hydraulic pump for steering?

Craig

Say you were doing something kind of odd and putting a set of Toyota axles under a SXS... I am trying to figure out the steering. I would like to go full hydo but I don't have any way to turn a power steering pump. Do any of you know of an electric hydraulic pump that might work? Some kind of stand alone pump?

I was thinking something like this but not sure how I could make it work.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200642008_200642008?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Hydraulics%20%3E%20Hydraulic%20Power%20Units&utm_campaign=NorTrac&utm_content=47370&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqJm46J_X3gIVpP_jBx2GkQHAEAQYCSABEgLMjPD_BwE

the "kid buggy" builds that use ATV motors have the same issue, and most of them use Toyota MR2 power electric/hydraulic power steering pumps.

you could use one of the larger industrial type units, but you'd have to make sure the charging system was up to the task, and run a large deep cycle battery.

what axles/tire size are you planning to run?

I think some people are using electric steering off a Saturn Vue for some sxs now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Electric hydraulic pump for steering?

onepieceatatime said:
I think some people are using electric steering off a Saturn Vue for some sxs now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I would probably look at the electric column with a manual steering box.

There was a rhino for sale on here a while back with Sami axles. Not sure what they did for it.

TBItoy said:
the "kid buggy" builds that use ATV motors have the same issue, and most of them use Toyota MR2 power electric/hydraulic power steering pumps.

you could use one of the larger industrial type units, but you'd have to make sure the charging system was up to the task, and run a large deep cycle battery.

what axles/tire size are you planning to run?

Toyota axles, 5.13's and 36" TSL's.

Re: Re: Electric hydraulic pump for steering?

paradisepwoffrd said:
I would probably look at the electric column with a manual steering box.

There was a rhino for sale on here a while back with Sami axles. Not sure what they did for it.

I have electric power steering now. I thought about going that was and putting a steering box on it but I am wanting to push the front axle out a pretty good bit.

Re: Re: Re: Electric hydraulic pump for steering?

Craig said:
I have electric power steering now. I thought about going that was and putting a steering box on it but I am wanting to push the front axle out a pretty good bit.
Maybe can go with a forward swing box such as scout or full-size bronco.

It would be my last resort, but could build a swing set setup like some of the U4 buggies run.

You could run push-pull steering with a manual Toyota straight axle box. I assume the steering shaft on most sxs is back near your feet? Dunno

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBItoy said:
You could run push-pull steering with a manual Toyota straight axle box. I assume the steering shaft on most sxs is back near your feet? Dunno

It is. I can remount the steering though and make it work.

Latest posts