• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

12v air compressors

mna0121

Looking for a good air compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Until earlier this week the ones I have used were total crap, I borrowed one that actually worked well. It had the Bell helmet logo on it so assuming it's the same company. Not quite as compact as others I have used but plenty small enough to stow it in a trunk corner. This unit has a light across the front and a digital air pressure gauge, the air chuck threads onto the stem. Thread it on hit the switch and wait. The down side is it felt cheap made. Not trying to air up 54" boggers, just road side assistance kind of stuff. Anyone have good results with a particular unit. This time last year a thread was started about jump boxes which I bought three as gifts from BKO the one to myself I used this week and it still works great. Probably going to give the compressors this year. RTR

I ran one of the slime units that you buy from autozone for almost 9 years. It died a week ago. And it lived a HARD life. Compressor still kinda worked. But the hose is dry rotted and it got to where it would turn on sometimes, but not others. So I'm hunting a replacement. I should probably just go get another slime brand. 9 years is a pretty good run for anything electronic these days.

I use this viar unit.....its amazing.

I'm sure you could cut the alligator clips off and put a cigarette lighter on it if you want it to.

4e9f7bfd73621d352cadcd1d1cf3675d.jpg

You are not going to get much plunging in to the lighter. Any decent pump will have battery leads.

I currently have the slime twin pump "RV" one. https://www.amazon.com/Slime-40026-Heavy-Direct-Inflator/dp/B005Z8HAUK/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1543660495&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=slime+rv+air

I have worked it pretty good over the last few years. Way over duty cycle a few times and in the rain. My only complaint is at high psi. I have 110 psi trailer tires and it will only get them to 90psi. It really starts slowing down after about 50 psi. If it wasn't for my trailer tires I would be happy with it. I will probably start taking my CO2 tank for the trailer on long trips. My next pump will be a larger one similar to the Smitty mentioned.

Viair 450 is a good model. I used to run 2 of them on an air ride setup with a 5gallon tank and 175psi. Air Zenith is another good one. The cigarette lighter ones are horribly slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They just came out with a newer model leads are real thick and long. Has worked well so far. I also have a viair hd on board set up in my jk and it is real quite works well.

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

cbrjeeper said:
I went this route for portable air. Came with a nice bag as well.
2d59a7111a13f6289a86e2aaad093e22.jpg

Looks identical to the smitty built. prob made in the same china plant

I bet it is. But instead it says shittybuilt.. aka harbour freight..
Came with all that is in the pic.
If you go look at them. Make sure the box says NEW printed on it. They are the nicer ones

tonybolton said:
I use this viar unit.....its amazing.

I'm sure you could cut the alligator clips off and put a cigarette lighter on it if you want it to.

4e9f7bfd73621d352cadcd1d1cf3675d.jpg

I have this same one also. Has worked good on my tow rig and on the buggy. Little slow on the big buggy tire but it is small and works.

I have a dual compressor SLIME brand that has clamps to hook on the battery and it does good Really fast for how big it is

I ordered one of these cheapos on Black Friday to throw in my toolbox. It showed up with a busted piece of plastic on it so the nice Chinese company is sending me a replacement and told me to keep the broken one. Looks like the Jeep is getting one permanently wired and plumbed into a tank.
b7ac446411169c6174d0417c279c9807.jpg
ff2af59ee93a49b21a34a29dab4c8466.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions, that last one is more what I want for the trunks of the DDs. This is the one I borrowed. It looks cheap and is priced cheap but for a car tire it worked and plugs into the 12v outlet. I do like those slime units probably get one of those for myself. BTW, the rechargeable battery jumper I gave my dad last year ended up in my moms car, on black Friday my aunt had to jump moms car with it after leaving a light on. My aunt probably has never even lifted a hood on a automobile before but was able to follow the instructions on the unit and started the car. I am betting the little charger hasn't been recharged since I gave it to my dad last Christmas. Now mom wants to buy her sister one this Christmas so looks like BK will be getting a fourth order. RTR
*picture would not attach

cbrjeeper said:
I went this route for portable air. Came with a nice bag as well.
2d59a7111a13f6289a86e2aaad093e22.jpg

I have one of those compressors from HF. Its pretty good. It has clips to go to a battery and plenty of cord and hose length. Plus you can use a 20% off coupon and get a free item on your visit ;D
I wouldnt get one that goes in a cigarette lighter, thats why both mine in my truck dont work.

I have the same hf compressor. There's a cheaper version that they sell and it lasted about 5 times but this one been holding up for couple years and works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro