Hardline Crawlers
February 23, 2019, 12:38:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Calendar for all upcoming rides and competitions.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transmission coolers  (Read 1463 times)
onetoncrawler
Easyline Crawler

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2018, 01:48:20 PM »

That is the 40 row I was talking about. I assume depth must be your problem. I think the race Derale and maybe CBR are smaller length and width.

Gotcha, I seen the P/N was different and didn't look into it any deeper. Now I see the only difference is the inlet size.

yeah, trying to avoid the 8" thick on the CBR. I was going to run the thin basic $150 Derale, but having 3-3500 stall I was nervous.

Daniel
The-Boss

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2018, 03:43:09 PM »

I don't see one of the $150 atomic cool units beaing close to sufficient for that stall. I ran one  down stream of a radiator mounted plate cooler and didn't like it on my 2-2500 stall. I use it for steering now. The 24 row 10000 series I have is only $50 more and is a much better piece but still might not be enough alone for you. I would either run the 40 row or the 24 row and could add a radiator mounted or heat exchanger cooler up stream if needed for that stall.

Barton

Bombproof Fab
jccarter1

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2018, 07:05:11 PM »

For the broke people tuned into this thread you can get some good plate coolers straight from China on good ol ebay for 80 bucks with a fan they work great
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/252699069791

Clint Carter - Hatton, Alabama
The Luke

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2018, 07:50:11 PM »

I’m running a massive oil cooler I found on some diesel truck at a junkyard.

Granted, I haven’t put it on yet.....lol
redneckengineered
Easyline Crawler

Trailer Park Panty Dropper

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2018, 08:06:14 AM »

I don't see one of the $150 atomic cool units beaing close to sufficient for that stall. I ran one  down stream of a radiator mounted plate cooler and didn't like it on my 2-2500 stall. I use it for steering now. The 24 row 10000 series I have is only $50 more and is a much better piece but still might not be enough alone for you. I would either run the 40 row or the 24 row and could add a radiator mounted or heat exchanger cooler up stream if needed for that stall.

I didn't want to be the one to say it but glad you did.  That's adequate for a steering cooler at best.

1tonyj

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2018, 06:44:10 AM »

Are any of you guys that are running 303 tractor fluid in your tranny's finding any benefit when it comes to heat reduction?  Kinda of topic but was just curious.

Ray ...Panama City

I don't always cross thread bolts......but when I do I run those bitches in all the way with an impact.

Flatlands Fabrication buggy
The-Boss

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2018, 07:49:58 AM »

I am not sure what the viscosity of 303 is but the normal JD Hy Gard will lower your stall and that would definitely lower heat. I am trying the Hy Gard low viscosity that operates like standard ATF. Very happy with it so far. YellowBullet is a good resource for use in drag racing applications. Run a screen filter with hydro fluid or cavitation could be an issue and cause heat problems.

Barton

Bombproof Fab
hokie_yj

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2018, 08:40:49 AM »

I used the parts store equivalent to Hygard in the powerglide and steering on my new buggy. Just added a little ATF for color to be able to tell the difference in any leaks. And I’m running the large Griffin oil cooler. It’s basically a small double pass radiator.

Only had it out one trip unfortunately, but the hottest temp I saw was ~155* when I forgot to turn the cooler fan back on after we stopped for a few minutes. The rest of the weekend was pretty constant about 125* even when I was on it pretty good. That’s measured in the outlet line of the transmission going to the cooler. I can’t say that’s better than straight ATF in that same setup because I don’t have data to compare but I’m definitely happy with it.

"Beat it like it owes you money"

SXOR single seater build in progress

Ben Bellamy - Surgoinsville, TN
sleepsontoilet

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2018, 09:54:31 PM »

Snagged an 11x11 TruCool from Smiley's Racing. Hoping to get enough airflow where it's at.

Ronald M

JHF/Goatbuilt
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: