• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Interview spinoff thread

The Luke

Figured I'd bring this over here..it's a long one....

Vp of a civil engineering firm contacted me for a cad tech position. We emailed back and forth, agreed on a time for a phone call, he never called. Rescheduled, never heard from him. This happened three more time. I'd try and call and it would go to voicemail.

Finally got him on the phone, everything went well. I warn him that I currently design in microstation and haven't touched autocad in over a decade. Rusty to say the least. He says it's no problem and wants me to come in. We schedule a time, I show up, he stood me up again. So the office manager/lead designer, Tyler, does my "interview". First they hand me a test to see "what kind of personality I have". It's timed and about 40 questions total. Hand written,1-2 sentence answers. I'm allowed to google if needed, but must mark what I google. First three questions are moral dilemma type questions. The remaining 37 are the most technical autocad questions I've ever seen. Mostly coding and specific design process questions(probably easy for someone with a degree and 10 yrs experience). Meanwhile, there are three cameras aimed at me in this cube they've stuck me in and a screen monitoring program running.

Mid way through, Tyler starts asking questions about my microstation experience. What's to know if it's in ribbons, among other things... I have no clue what that means and I use this program daily. He then scoffs at me and turns around.

I finish the test, hand it to him. He then hands me the blueprints for their building. Pulls up it up on autocad and deletes 80% of the parking lot, curbs, roads, landscaping, measurements, retaining wall, etc... says I have 1 hour to redraw everything, go. At this point I feel that I am wasting his time. I remind him that I haven't used it in ten years. His response "if you knew how to use it then, there's no reason you don't know how to now". So I suck it up and draw what I can.

5 minutes into my hour(around 5pm), he stands up, tells me he's going home and the door will lock behind me on my way out.

So here I am, under surveillance, one other employee on the other side of the office, and I'm stumbling around with no clue what I'm doing. I stayed for about an hour and half. Did my damnest to draw everything i possibly could, and finally threw in the towel.

As I leave I tell the remaining employee that I saved my work and left it up in case he needed to do anything with it. He gives me a hard time about not logging out and says that the door will lock behind me, then turns around to his keyboard.

I left that place feeling like a total dumbass. Guess I'll go back to my drawing our fiber splicing...

Needless to say, I do not expect to hear back from them.

That sounds like a shitty place to work if they can't even handle setting up and executing an interview

The Luke said:
Figured I'd bring this over here..it's a long one....

Vp of a civil engineering firm contacted me for a cad tech position. We emailed back and forth, agreed on a time for a phone call, he never called. Rescheduled, never heard from him. This happened three more time. I'd try and call and it would go to voicemail.

Finally got him on the phone, everything went well. I warn him that I currently design in microstation and haven't touched autocad in over a decade. Rusty to say the least. He says it's no problem and wants me to come in. We schedule a time, I show up, he stood me up again. So the office manager/lead designer, Tyler, does my "interview". First they hand me a test to see "what kind of personality I have". It's timed and about 40 questions total. Hand written,1-2 sentence answers. I'm allowed to google if needed, but must mark what I google. First three questions are moral dilemma type questions. The remaining 37 are the most technical autocad questions I've ever seen. Mostly coding and specific design process questions(probably easy for someone with a degree and 10 yrs experience). Meanwhile, there are three cameras aimed at me in this cube they've stuck me in and a screen monitoring program running.

Mid way through, Tyler starts asking questions about my microstation experience. What's to know if it's in ribbons, among other things... I have no clue what that means and I use this program daily. He then scoffs at me and turns around.

I finish the test, hand it to him. He then hands me the blueprints for their building. Pulls up it up on autocad and deletes 80% of the parking lot, curbs, roads, landscaping, measurements, retaining wall, etc... says I have 1 hour to redraw everything, go. At this point I feel that I am wasting his time. I remind him that I haven't used it in ten years. His response "if you knew how to use it then, there's no reason you don't know how to now". So I suck it up and draw what I can.

5 minutes into my hour(around 5pm), he stands up, tells me he's going home and the door will lock behind me on my way out.

So here I am, under surveillance, one other employee on the other side of the office, and I'm stumbling around with no clue what I'm doing. I stayed for about an hour and half. Did my damnest to draw everything i possibly could, and finally threw in the towel.

As I leave I tell the remaining employee that I saved my work and left it up in case he needed to do anything with it. He gives me a hard time about not logging out and says that the door will lock behind me, then turns around to his keyboard.

I left that place feeling like a total dumbass. Guess I'll go back to my drawing our fiber splicing...

Needless to say, I do not expect to hear back from them.

They might have been seeing how you do under adverse circumstances. We have figured out to vet people strictly in the interview because some folks interview well but are junk employees.

That thought has crossed my mind.

I've basically decided that after all that, I don't want to work there. I stuck through it, because that's who I am. I left there knowing I tried my best. But, I honestly think they did all that just trying to make a fool out of me. They knew I was under qualified and then put me through the ringer.

Btw, I was curious so I looked up ribbons in Microstation. All I can find is literately talking about the toolbar layout. Based on your recollection of the question he asked you, I tend to agree with the "making a fool" thought. Not sure if that's a Tyler thing or a company thing, but that experience certainly wouldn't give me a good feeling about the company. It doesn't sound they they really even talked to you, or showed much interest at all.

Maybe you had applied for the job that Tyler's buddy had also put in for...

The way you explained your self through your story shows your strength and determination. If mutiple people in that firm snubbed you with no respect, then you would probably end up like them. Miserable. Imo all jobs become work. You may as well pick a place/ job that suits you. Qaulity of life is more important than a high paying job that is very stressful. Good luck in your seach.

I bet that was your old buddy Fabricator1 and he was just getting you back for being a bully. Jokes on you dude!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

onepieceatatime said:
I bet that was your old buddy Fabricator1 and he was just getting you back for being a bully. Jokes on you dude!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

My mind is blown right now. How did I not see it?!

bgredjeep said:
Btw, I was curious so I looked up ribbons in Microstation. All I can find is literately talking about the toolbar layout. Based on your recollection of the question he asked you, I tend to agree with the "making a fool" thought. Not sure if that's a Tyler thing or a company thing, but that experience certainly wouldn't give me a good feeling about the company. It doesn't sound they they really even talked to you, or showed much interest at all.

Maybe you had applied for the job that Tyler's buddy had also put in for...
I did the exact same thing. I'm convinced he was screwing with me.

Other then what I mentioned, there were no questions asked, no discussion of any sort relating to the job. Nothing. Not even a "we'll review this and call you in x days". Hell, I barely got a nice to meet you.

You never know with that kind of stuff. Hell they could be intimidated by you and or your skills companies now adays will do a huge search on anything they can find on you. Maybe during that search they found that they were over qualified. Who knows. Keep your head up. Sounds like a bunch of douche bags.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Check them out on glassdoor. If nothing else it's worth a laugh. I checked out my company and someone left a review that said "dey pay dem drives peanuts while dem boys hunt ducks and goof off while da boss in Memphis just turn his head and not pay dem no mind. But it a good place to work"

Lol my company has been shredded on Glassdoor. But they've always treated me fair.

I found nothing on Glassdoor about them. A little on indeed but overall good.

We need some engineer/design employees in our maintenance department. But you would have to come to Arkansas

If we weren't so well rooted here, I'd be all over it. I just couldn't split my wife from her family unless we absolutely had to.

The Luke said:
If we weren't so well rooted here, I'd be all over it. I just couldn't split my wife from her family unless we absolutely had to.
I hear ya, I'm having a hard time convincing my wife to move down to the Decatur area, after she gets finished with school.

Yea, mine finished up grad school a few years ago and landed her dream job. So that's reason 561 we can't move. Lol

Tell them to stick it... Im too old to deal with BS from a company. If they want to hire me then hire me. Even if it was a test on me I would tell them to piss off.