• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Whats the difference? will it fit?

skipnrocks

I have a pretty healthy 383 stroker running on av gas. I love it all except the cost of the fuel. My space in my engine bay is pretty tight built around this motor. I happen to have a low mile 6.2 aluminum block from a gmc denali. My question is this, would this be an awe-full swap? Is the motor have significantly larger size dimentionally, are the exhaust ports in a way different place or is it roughly similar?

I know it would be easier to buy another built stroker that runs on premium pump gas but here are my pros and cons:

New 383: Dirrect swap, pump gas, 7500ish delivered, Minus-sell existing block cons efi. so harder sell and get less out of it.
6.2 swap stroker kit and cam kits: 75000ish including motor, more hp/tq. Pump fuel, sell running current block with efi and get more for it. Cons: refab exhaust mounts etc, might not fit?

https://paceperformance.com/p-3990-engine-dimensions.html

Those dimensions are pretty much dead on.

The LS motor is slightly wider at the top, but it is shorter in length.

I wonder how close the exhaust ports would line up on the side. My exhaust twists in between the frame bars and through the chassis I think as long as I can line those up with my frame rails without having to mess with my transmission, drive shafts etc it would probably be worth it.

The 6.2 came with a 6l80e, would that be a direct swap with my current 4l80e?

The ports are gonna be slightly higher(1/2" ish) and pulled back towards the bell housing about 3/4" to 1", gotta make sure you check that the evenly spaced ports dont put a tube out right into a bar or something as well.

Thats true. So all in all simular cost involved is it worth the work to put a new motor in other than it was designed for or would it be best to get a pump gas 383 and rock it.

how about bigger injectors (if needed?) and tune for E85?

E85 may not be the magic bullet and may be hard to get reliable/consistent from pumps in your area, but it seems worth looking into if the cost of fuel is the only thing you don't like...

Or freshen up your motor and swap to some thicker headgaskets/different heads/different pistons to drop the compression some?

SBJeepn said:
I wonder how close the exhaust ports would line up on the side. My exhaust twists in between the frame bars and through the chassis I think as long as I can line those up with my frame rails without having to mess with my transmission, drive shafts etc it would probably be worth it.

The 6.2 came with a 6l80e, would that be a direct swap with my current 4l80e?
Not to de-rail, but how do you like the 4L80. Thinking about switching over eventually with a scs with lower gears.so I could have a lower first, and 4th would still be pretty fast for cruising the main trails

I definitely thought of changing the motor some and getting the compression down. It may be the cheapest option. But was thinking since its such a pita to get it apart, I wondered if it would be worth the gains to put the larger motor in. My guess is probably not, would probably be better to just keep it the same. If I could get significantly higher numbers out of pump gas 6.2 then totally worth it if not then its not.

Dirt700 said:
Not to de-rail, but how do you like the 4L80. Thinking about switching over eventually with a scs with lower gears.so I could have a lower first, and 4th would still be pretty fast for cruising the main trails

I love it. A lot more trail friendly having the overdrive for driving in low range. Keeps me from having to swap back and forth between high and low so often.

Latest posts