• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Our KOH Story, Condensed version VIDEO ADDED!!!

JEEPKEVIN

So first half of team leaves out Jan 28th. Get there early for shock tuning, engine final tune, general test running. 3 trucks towing out, race car in enclosed, goose with buggy and 2 RZR for pre running, and bbq gril and kitchen on 3rd trailer. We gonna set up our camping compound outside of Hammer town and leave the pits for race car, pre run rigs. Well, enclosed trailer blows 2 tires, the tow rig looses 2 wheel studs and other lugs are loose. So much for taking truck to get tires rotated and balanced before trip. Guess we will fix that stuff on lake bed.

Get camp set up, test run car, get maps and start pre running. So good so far. Shocks need to be rebuilt or at least revalved for this track, shock mfg brings the suck award. No help, bad info, general lack of support. Sponsor says lets try King. New shocks and bypasses ordered one day, everything received and installed by King the next day. Car picks up 20mph in the desert. Money well spent. Thanks King and the shock tuner!! Top notch effort and support on last minute notice.

Fancy dancy high output alternator shits on us a couple days before race, friend of a friend find one and delivers to lake bed. Thanks!!!! Next day Wilwood master for front brakes starts being slow to return, spongy pedal. Wilwood swaps out. Thanks!!! You guys rock!! Final test run day before race and front 300m shaft breaks, got a spare. Full diff teardown to make sure no contamination. Problem solved. Car running good, just need to go through tech and we are ready.

Tech is no prob, car comes back to pits, driver and wife hop out, wife falls hits head, says "Who are you?" to husband. Oh crap!! Off to hospital. Pit crew hits the sheets for 4:30 wake up to drive to remote pit one. Race morn watching tracker and our car is in pits when it should be on starting line. Mass confusion!! We need to improve pit comunication. Car flys past pit one with no probs. Stupid tracer failed and last know location was in the pits.

Return to pit 1 on way back through, flat tire swapped, fueled up, back to going. Rest of coarse runs good, couple more flats, scramble to put new tires on beadlocks. Wheel vendor, tire liner, and spare tires were never delivered to lake bed as arranged. We made do, shuffled stuff between pits, need more fuel. RZR's really helped with this process.

Tracker swapped out on lap one, leaders are now crossing finish line. Tracker showing we are on lap 2 as we come near finish line. Dave Cole involved and all is good. Cross line 15th in our first team race.

About 25 team members contributed to our finish. Our goal was just to finish our first race. Much excitement!!

On way home, enclosed trailer blows 2 tires and trashes 2 wheels at same time. Torsion axle failed. No more torsion axles. Load stuff on various other trailers and come home. Tomorrow fly out to repair then rent truck for 10 hours of fun to get trailer home. Under 50 days till next race in Rancho Cordova.

All in all, good times. Can't say enough about the team and it's goal to compete to the best of our ability. Hope for more sucess in future.

Re: Our KOH Story, Condensed version

Sounds like a good time. How is the drivers ol'lady?
Any pics?

It's always crazy to hear these stories. Crazy what you guys go through to get through that race.

Nice write up. What class were you racing in?

Also got any pictures form the trip there and back or when racing or in Hammertown?

Don't want to be mean and point out that animal of a shock company.

We were 4400 class #4.

Pictures!! With all I went through, I just have memories. Well a few pics but just crap really. I was running every direction doing anything that was helpful.

Wife that fell went to doctor, waiting on final info but fingers crossed that all is well.

If you haven't been to KOH, put it on bucket list. Crazy amount of people, some really cool rigs with nothing to do with race. Just wheelers like you and I. It's hot, it's cold, it's windy, had some mud this year. Crazy desert, weather seems to change every day.

Being involved with this race really shows how strong the community is. Other racers helped us and we did the same. I met Adam Scherer, race winner, giving parts away to other racers. His quote, "It's not a race unless your in it" speaking to competitors he was giving parts to.

JEEPKEVIN said:
Don't want to be mean and point out that animal of a shock company.

We were 4400 class #4.

Pictures!! With all I went through, I just have memories. Well a few pics but just crap really. I was running every direction doing anything that was helpful.

Wife that fell went to doctor, waiting on final info but fingers crossed that all is well.

If you haven't been to KOH, put it on bucket list. Crazy amount of people, some really cool rigs with nothing to do with race. Just wheelers like you and I. It's hot, it's cold, it's windy, had some mud this year. Crazy desert, weather seems to change every day.

Being involved with this race really shows how strong the community is. Other racers helped us and we did the same. I met Adam Scherer, race winner, giving parts away to other racers. His quote, "It's not a race unless your in it" speaking to competitors he was giving parts to.

Shame on no pictures but understandable there. Didn't realize we had someone from here racing but congrats on the Top 15 Finish.

How many of the other Ultra4 races are y'all going to? I know you mentioned the Rancho Cordova one already.

Rancho Cordova March 22-23
Pittsburg Tennessee April 12-13
Davis Oklahoma June 14-15
Bedford Kentucky July 19-20
Reno Nevada October 18-19, Nationals, Super good race for spectators, stay in hotel, convince family to go, fun for everyone!!

JEEPKEVIN said:
Rancho Cordova March 22-23
Pittsburg Tennessee April 12-13
Davis Oklahoma June 14-15
Bedford Kentucky July 19-20
Reno Nevada October 18-19, Nationals, Super good race for spectators, stay in hotel, convince family to go, fun for everyone!!

Sounds great on the upcoming races. We will be at the races in April at Adventure Off-Road and July at Dirty Turtle. :dblthumb:

Here she is!!

Attachments

• RACE CAR PIC 1.jpg
    RACE CAR PIC 1.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 107

Nice looking race rig. I remember seeing it on the Livestream during Qualifying, the start of the main race, and at the finish line. Congrats on the race.

Tribe chassis + Treps = drool

Yup!! Chip and Brad in car. Those guys really did a great job!!!

Zandy owner.

I'm part of pit crew and helper to lead mechanic in shop. Also help to to stock beer fridge!! Helps us think.

Like THE Chip and Brad??

Little 2 seater rig on 42" treps, mean super hard lopin motor?

And a white Jeep on 42" TSLs ?

Yup, to all of the above.

I think we will all be at Bridgeport for the SRRS event next weekend.

Torsion axle failed. No more torsion axles Please expand on this a little. How did the torsion axle lead to both tires blowing? Without moving up into a heavier class trailer what is a better choice axle than the torsions? RTR

JEEPKEVIN said:
Yup, to all of the above.

I think we will all be at Bridgeport for the SRRS event next weekend.
Lol

I'll see you guys there. That was the last time I saw Chip. At the Starwood event

Good to hear you guys had a team and finished. That's awesome

40" treps. My mistake

mna0121 said:
Torsion axle failed. No more torsion axles Please expand on this a little. How did the torsion axle lead to both tires blowing? Without moving up into a heavier class trailer what is a better choice axle than the torsions? RTR

Twin 7k torsion on a 32' enclosed. Looks like one axle failed, rubber torsion not bearings, which overloaded the other axle and allowed both tires to move up and rub on the inner fender well. Both tires blew. Honestly, the axles on the trailer weren't a name brand like Dexter. Not something the owner of the trailer had paid any attention too. The trailer is almost new and had carried his buggy on several trip without issue. Although these were 3 hour trips not 24 hours.

Off brand axles combined with being loaded to near max capacity plus 1300 mile trip at highway speeds over some pretty crappy high ways may have all been contributing factors. Trailer company is looking like they are going to stand behind trailer and warranty the issue. We had to leave the trailer about 12 hours from home, once fixed another road trip to go pick up.

My goose with Dexter 7k on leafs was near max, as usual, no issues. Freak problem, unsure. Just part of the learning curve of a new race team. Enclosed trailer will prob go away for something more substantial.