• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

To roset or not roset. That is the question.

skipnrocks

So I rebuilt the roof on my buggy for more head room. I had to cut the 2 b pillars the a pillar and the windshield bar. I put a 6 in slug into each tube where I added on to and then left a gap between the new and old bars to get a weld that would penitrate well into the two bars and the slug. So here is my question. Is there really a need for me to drill and weld in rosette welds on to each of these bars to the slug or not.

Here's the pics. I can't imagine needing the addition of the roset weld. But let me know your thoughts
dc4fdee970c4ac8a12ca3675e3dc758f.jpg
909f9f0ff9aeeff1ef967c1f88458829.jpg
da8e2c4f17d80c3b0925b17f32fc5d12.jpg
de64b2e09811d26fe8047851eaa1646e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Nah...

But in all actuality it probably took more time to make this thread than drill a few holes and weld them up.

Looks good

Those joints will probably only see compression forces. If the splice was on a steering link or suspension link that may see tension is the only reason I would use a plug weld.

TBItoy said:
Nah...

But in all actuality it probably took more time to make this thread than drill a few holes and weld them up.

Looks good

Lol maybe.

Thanks guys. Kinda what I was thinking.

Maybe a little off topic and too late to change now but how much head room does everyone like in their rig in case of a roll over? My prior roof had only a couple inches if that. And when I did bump trails I had to slouch or my head would tap the roof pannels. Now I have probably 6 in which will allow me to wear a helmet if I ever wanted to

Enough that I don't have to worry about hitting my head. Lol

I've got about 5" over my head when I wear a helmet.

Extra welds necessary? Probably not, but if it was mine i would have... if that makes sense.

I've seen racers were the helmet is rubbing roof panels. You could see the scuff marks. I guess in order to keep COG low.
I have way too much head room. But I don't hit my head when I roll either.... I probably got 5 inches over my helmet.

Re: Re: To roset or not roset. That is the question.

pennsylvaniaboy said:
seems like a horrible place to splice the front a pillar bars.....
Care to explain why?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

ranger11 said:
Care to explain why?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Its close to the middle of an unsupported span on a fairly important piece of the structure, even with the internal sleeves. A nice hard landing on the top of the "windshield" area might do some funny stuff, especially when the other two supporting bars a pre-bent and spliced.

Maybe or maybe not, a splice in the middle allows for a longer slug in there preventing the likely of a direct impact allowing separation, splicing lower down would have been the only other option but would have resulted in a much shorter slug. Additionally primary impact is likely to be compression either pressing straight down or down and back, in either instance the transfer of energy is supported down to the frame. With the roof and cage heavily triangulated for such impacts short of a rock or tree directly on the weld I cant imagine any issues. But could be wrong.

I would almost bet that if the welds are good that these areas are stronger than it was before.
But I'm ain't not no fabrocader

Yea it's likely fine, but I was taking a guess at the point that guy was trying to make. The A pillar is pretty long and largely unsupported. What's the top A pillar to the dash, 36"? I'd think a bar in the wing window area would help a lot for a hit to the top of the windshield (straight over backwards flop)

Lots of tubes does not equal lots of triangulation, but bouncer life...

j.mcconnell said:
Yea it's likely fine, but I was taking a guess at the point that guy was trying to make. The A pillar is pretty long and largely unsupported. What's the top A pillar to the dash, 36"? I'd think a bar in the wing window area would help a lot for a hit to the top of the windshield (straight over backwards flop)

Lots of tubes does not equal lots of triangulation, but bouncer life...

No its not that long, just looks that way because of the angle. It is probably closer to 28 inches, but I can throw a tape on it when I get home. But for reference my seats are the high back 35in from the mounting hardware to the crown. The low bar on the windshield area is probably 18in above the seat bolts, and the roll cage at the seat is 4 inches higher at the roll than it is at the windshield. I am not sure where your recommending the bar for support? I want to make sure not to block too much visability but am open to ideas,, the old roof came across at eye level for me and made it hard to see up steep hills.

Ill grab a couple measurements when I get home for lunch.

Ok here are the measurements, 18 in from the bottom bar to the weld and 6in from the weld up. Total span 24in. Not sure if that span changes your perspective at all. Center pillars are 14in from the bottom bar to the weld.

I am certainly open to suggestions though. Just not sure what you mean by wing window?

SBJeepn said:
Just not sure what you mean by wing window?

See the small tube just behind the actual A pillar that helps support it? Especially if it doesn't dead node into your A to B beltline tube.
b58ae9e0e8b5a21ceb74dd7987560757.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

^thats exactly what I meant by the wing window bar. I looks like you can line up with one of the vertical bars in the door area like he mentioned without it being in the way too much also. It'd help transfer any front roof impact down to the rocker basically, or at least help spread that impact down multiple paths.

24" is way shorter than it looks in the pictures

Latest posts