• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Buying salvage title vehicles in Alabama

creepycrawly

Someone school me. I heard the laws changed within the past few years.

A buddy of mine had a nice TJ rubicon. Rolled it. Totaled and insurance paid out. Now it's being auctioned off in Georgia and I'd really like to own it. What hoops am I going to have to jump through to put it back on the road and can I even do it as an individual or do I have to be a licensed rebuilder in order to get the man to inspect it and give me a rebuilt sticker and title?

I'm no expert Drue......but I do have a good friend who is a licensed dealer/rebuilder. As far as AL goes you have to be licensed. Maybe GA is different......or it may depend on the state where you are planning on rebuilding and titling it. Wish I could help you more buddy.

Edit: And he says it's a real pain cause you have to keep up with every receipt for every part you buy to rebuild it in order for them to consider passing it.

MoparMan said:
I'm no expert Drue......but I do have a good friend who is a licensed dealer/rebuilder. As far as AL goes you have to be licensed. Maybe GA is different......or it may depend on the state where you are planning on rebuilding and titling it. Wish I could help you more buddy.

Edit: And he says it's a real pain cause you have to keep up with every receipt for every part you buy to rebuild it in order for them to consider passing it.

Good info and similar to what I had heard. I'll be titling it in Alabama if it happens.

So my question is, what if it needs absolutely nothing to be back on the street? It was a very light roll. It did dent the tub, but everything is still straight on it. I'd slap a new soft top on it and buy a set of soft doors for it and rock out.

creepycrawly said:
Good info and similar to what I had heard. I'll be titling it in Alabama if it happens.

So my question is, what if it needs absolutely nothing to be back on the street? It was a very light roll. It did dent the tub, but everything is still straight on it. I'd slap a new soft top on it and buy a set of soft doors for it and rock out.

My understanding is, no matter what it needs, once it is branded as salvage you have to have a rebuilders licence to buy it and repair it.

You would still have to document what it looked like before and every part that you would have bought for it.

I'm not sure what all other states are lenient on it, but I bought a salvage/rebuilt title truck out of KY. All the guy had to do was put a taillight in it......it was still a very rough truck. In AL it has to be repaired to like new condition.

creepycrawly said:
Wow. Ok. So maybe I need to look at titling it in another state.

Possibly. But maybe somebody with first hand experience/knowledge can chime in and help more. I'm just telling you everything that my buddy in the business has told me about the State of Alabama.

In Alabama. I bought a totaled 6.4 from copart. Almost every replacement part was randomly purchased (lots of used parts from Craigslist and Facebook). When I finished, I took it to my buddy who rebuild salvage vehicles and he had it inspected for me. I sent no documentation with it. Passed with flying colors. Got a "rebuilt" title. That was 4 years ago and my dad still drives the truck weekly.

I understand alot about rebuilt title vehicles.i will explain. Its really not that difficult. Ive done 6 in the last year. I have zero lic btw. It all depends on how you purchase it. Go to a iaa , salvagebid or copart online auction site, Register and wahla. You can now buy fix and retitle . You present all photos that auction site had listed to your dmv along with all receipts of parts and or repairs. All used parts must have a vin # attached to the receipt. Fill out dmv paper work pay sum fees and yes. You may not get all your ducks in a row the first visit. But it really is all about your paper work. If the damage is visible in the photos then it must be repaired.
Btw a lic dealer has more hoops to jump through than a reg joe when it comes to this situation. They have higher requirements . Any other questions lmk. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk