• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Aluminum Fuel Cell Mounting & Baffles

ToledoDan

I am getting ready to ditch my fuel cell like this.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Speedmaster/746/PCE130.1022/10002/-1
it developed a crack when the roll over valve got stuck closed and riding on a hot day it got over pressurized. hit me up with a PM if you want to get in line for when I post it for sale, but that is not what this post is about.
Planning to ditch this one because it cracked, it has no internal baffles and 15 gallons is just not enough for a full day of riding for my thirsty beast.
here is a side view and a top view of the new fuel cell.
the plan is to make the sides from 3/16" thick aluminum and the rest from 1/8" thick aluminum. the idea of making the sides from 3/16" thick aluminum is that the 1/2" thick mounting blocks will stress the sides quite a bit at the welds and don't want it cracking there. the internal baffles might be made from 1/16" thick, but most likely will be 1/8" thick too. two of the internal baffles will be complete ribs that will be running front to back. I saw a guy did something like this on here and said it worked really well for his set up. I planned to add two more baffles just to keep more of the fuel at the center in extreme downhill/uphill applications.

let me know your thoughts - I have thick skin and would rather know what's not going to work before I waste a bunch of money buying, shearing and welding a bunch of aluminum that is not going to work any better than what I currently have. Too much baffling? going to crack anyways?

I am going to keep trying to post pics.....

dwg 1 - side and top views of planned fuel cell. should get me about 32 gallons!!!

Attachments

• Doc1.docx
    27 KB · Views: 126
baffle pics from another guy on here

Attachments

• Fuel Cell Baffles.jpg
    Fuel Cell Baffles.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 119
Install isolaters and u won't have that problem again if the fuel cell is mounted to or tied into the chassis it will compress or contract with the movement .just isolated 3/16 over 10 gal baffle..less welds mur gooder ....good luck

Latest posts