• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Flat Tow A Jeep

money_pit_yj

Just bought a Motorhome. Going to set the wife's LJ up to flat tow and was wanting to hear some of y'all's experiences......with flat towing. I don't want to know anything about some of your experiences

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

money_pit_yj said:
Just bought a Motorhome. Going to set the wife's LJ up to flat tow and was wanting to hear some of y'all's experiences......with flat towing. I don't want to know anything about some of your experiences

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, you always make me laugh. I never expect the off the wall comments.

The LJ should do fine. Throw the t-case in neutral and rock out. Auto in park or manual in gear.

creepycrawly said:
Man, you always make me laugh. I never expect the off the wall comments.

The LJ should do fine. Throw the t-case in neutral and rock out. Auto in park or manual in gear.

It was supposed to say other experiences ::)

Where the hell do you live that the only places you tow is flat? Good grief their are hills everywhere

pull the rear drive shaft.
I did that "put the transfer case in neutral" for the final time with the "transmission in park" just like the owners manual/video about ten years ago with a 05 LJ Rubi. it went into gear at 70mph and it was like a friggin yard sale!
hit me up on a PM and I can tell you all the details.

Don't do it, unless you're eager to swap the entire drive train and just need a reason to justify it.

ToledoDan said:
pull the rear drive shaft.
I did that "put the transfer case in neutral" for the final time with the "transmission in park" just like the owners manual/video about ten years ago with a 05 LJ Rubi. it went into gear at 70mph and it was like a friggin yard sale!
hit me up on a PM and I can tell you all the details.

Don't do it, unless you're eager to swap the entire drive train and just need a reason to justify it.

Pics?

Yea, since those cases don't really "lock" into neutral, i don't know that I'd trust it.

We flat tow out city jeep (2015 Rubicon). Owners manual says TC in neutral and manual tranny in 1st. Tow bar should be fairly level, +/- 2". Most states require some type of braking system in the toad.

The Luke said:
Yea, since those cases don't really "lock" into neutral, i don't know that I'd trust it.

I had probably flat towed for more than 4000miles, on this particular trip, we were on our way home - 750miles into a 780mile trip!

blew out yokes on both front axle shafts and twisted the splines on driver side, bent front drive shaft, bent drive shaft cracked the side of transmission, grenaded transfer case, bent driver rear axle shaft, then flipped over on its lid.

The only good thing that come from it was that the insurance totaled the vehicle and I was able to buy it back for a song and rebuild it with the insurance check and had a little left over to buy a trailer!

Latest posts