• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

hydro pump

jeeppoor

Took the juggy out for the first time this year after the winder upgrades.
One of the winter upgrades was hydro brakes. Already had full hydro steer with a 3" double ended ram. We have been running it for a few years with just the hydro steer.

We are running a Howl pump (dont know the part number it was bought for differnt project years ago).
We noticed the the steering was not as responsive as it used to be.
And since I am going to order a spare pump to carry with on the trailer I was wondering if there was a better pump for this application?

Chuck19 said:
I'm running a psc pump with a underdrive pully and it helped my buggy a lot from the stick pump I was running
What pump model and are you running hydro brakes also?

Here is the first response from PSC.

That hydroboost brake system may be restricting flow down to the orbital. There are companies that will bore them out to help with that if that is the issue.
What kind of pump do you have on there?

So I know where this is going to go.

jeeppoor said:
Here is the first response from PSC.

That hydroboost brake system may be restricting flow down to the orbital. There are companies that will bore them out to help with that if that is the issue.
What kind of pump do you have on there?

So I know where this is going to go.

The hydro unit will kill the flow, no joke.

Hydroboost units will inhibit the flow of a good PS pump for sure.

Contact BustedKnuckle Offroad or WideOpen, they both offer ported hydroboost units. I think that Vanco also offers a rebuild & port service.

So next week I am going to pump a pressure gauge in line before the hydro boost and see what pressure the pump is putting out. And then put it inline after the hydro boost to see what if any difference there is.
And then see what info I get.

It's very well documented that hydroboost restricts flow rate (and solutions range from ported hydroboost units, to running a completely separate pump dedicated to the brakes, or a priority flow divider)

The lack of responsiveness you describe is a tell-tale sign of less flow.

You also say you have a 3" ram. That's a big ram unless you're running huge tires on a heavy rig. Takes a LOT of fluid turn that thing as fast as you want it to.

I like the idea of running a pump with external/separate pressure relief and flow controls.

Automotive power steering pump relief valve internally recirculating bullshit was designed to be compact and that is it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBItoy said:
It's very well documented that hydroboost restricts flow rate (and solutions range from ported hydroboost units, to running a completely separate pump dedicated to the brakes, or a priority flow divider)

The lack of responsiveness you describe is a tell-tale sign of less flow.

You also say you have a 3" ram. That's a big ram unless you're running huge tires on a heavy rig. Takes a LOT of fluid turn that thing as fast as you want it to.

I like the idea of running a pump with external/separate pressure relief and flow controls.

Automotive power steering pump relief valve internally recirculating bullshit was designed to be compact and that is it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No room to run 2 separator units.
And she is a heavy pig. Jeep turned juggy. And the with 42 and H1 wheels.

I haven't seen or heard of a priority flow divider
OR
running a pump with external/separate pressure relief and flow controls.
Do you kmow where I can find info on these?

extremetownie said:
You can restrict flow and not change pressure. Flow rate would be a more accurate test.
I don't really have a way of checking flow short of pumping it into an empty bucket.

I bit the bullet and had my hydroboost Hi-fllowed from VANCO talked to a couple people on the book of faces that went this route and said they had no issues. I have only been able to pull my rig out of the garage to turn it around, but the steering seemed fine.

87TPIYJ said:
I bit the bullet and had my hydroboost Hi-fllowed from VANCO talked to a couple people on the book of faces that went this route and said they had no issues. I have only been able to pull my rig out of the garage to turn it around, but the steering seemed fine.
Did they modify your hydro boost?
If so how long did it take them?

jeeppoor said:
Did they modify your hydro boost?
If so how long did it take them?

Yes they did. I shipped it early one week and had it back mid week the following week. They are in CA and I'm on FL, so that's pretty quick turn. Ish ain't cheap though.

Latest posts