• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2002 Dodge 1500 transmission issue?

jwilson645

Looked at a 2002 Ram 1500 4x4 yesterday. 5.9 with 177k miles on it. When I floored it and the transmission downshifted, it acted like it was quickly shifting back and forth between gears, kind of a "shudder". Normal driving was fine and I didn't notice any issues other than a slight vibration around 60mph, which the owner said was a u-joint (he had a new one to go in it). It also had a check engine light on. In hindsight I should have taken it to have it scanned to see if that was related to the trans but I didn't. Have any of you seen this before? This would be my first Dodge so I don't know that much about their issues.

It's a cheap truck and I expect to fix things but a new transmission isn't something I want to put in right away.

Did you check the trans fluid? How did the fluid look and smell? To get an accurate check on it the fluid needs to be warm/hot and the truck idling in neutral.

Realistically, I think you should always budget for a new trans in a half ton truck that is 17 years old with 177K miles on it.

Truck either needs to be nice enough or cheap enough that building the trans isn't a deal killer...

MoparMan said:
Did you check the trans fluid? How did the fluid look and smell? To get an accurate check on it the fluid needs to be warm/hot and the truck idling in neutral.

Also a good idea that I did not check.......... ::)

In that body style early on they put both a 46re and an 545RFE which is a 5spd auto in it. First you need to know what you have. Both had a laundry list of common issues. Ranging from surging, no movement at cold start, shudders, gear hunting between 2nd and 3rd etc. the list goes on honestly. I worked on them all the time.

Jumping in a truck with that mileage like said before, plan on having to build a trans. They are just junk in stock form. No way around it.

The 5.9L is great. Be glad it's not a 3.7 4.7 or 5.7. They had plenty of problems that made them **** the bed early too.

Snatch it up cheap and it'll make a great truck

This truck is in good shape for it's age and already has new A/C, front suspension and brakes, along with some factory 20's with tires off of a 2018 model. It still has a couple of issues such as the A/C fan only works on high, no heat and the right rear window won't work with the driver's switch. Guy wants $5k.

I priced out a Jasper transmission yesterday. I've used them before and I like them because of the 3yr/100k mile warranty. Approximately $3500 installed. Do I want to put a $3500 transmission into a $5k truck or do I pay more for a used truck with similar mileage and possibly have to put a transmission in that one too? I tend to hold on to vehicles so I think about a lot of scenarios before buying one. :****:

The plan was to use it to pull a 24' travel trailer at least once a month and hauling my steel supplies a couple of times a month. Currently, that's being done with my '77 Silverado Big 10 and we're taking 2 vehicles whenever we take the camper somewhere because of not enough room and no a/c.

If you like it enough that having 8500 in it wouldnt piss you off, then go for it.

I'd always consider a $3-4K buffer for any used vehicle. That's like 4-5 payments on a new truck.

Don't buy anything you'd be pissed to put an engine/trans/or rear end in (or scrapping if ain't worth it)

It's an old Dodge. I'd low ball the dude with a wad of cash.

X2 on this old dodge low ball. Just don't do what my wife does along with every other Craigslist buyer, attempt to make an offer in a text message.

Show up in person with cash in hand. Get yourself a fair deal

A jasper trans is gonna burn down just the same pulling a 24' travel trailer. So look into some valve body upgrades at the very least

TheViking said:
Dodge automatic no more needs to be said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, you feel the need to bring up a thread that hasn't been commented on in a month with a dumbass camment like that. But yet in your own thread you commented how you Bronco was so unreliable. You're a ****ing idiot, and need to go back to keeping silent. Maybe your teeth wouldn't need fixed if you woupd stop doing meth.

MoparMan said:
Wow, you feel the need to bring up a thread that hasn't been commented on in a month with a dumbass camment like that. But yet in your own thread you commented how you Bronco was so unreliable. You're a ****ing idiot, and need to go back to keeping silent. Maybe your teeth wouldn't need fixed if you woupd stop doing meth.

DUDE! I will guarantee you that 85 % of people who saw this thread thought, "well, it's a Dodge, no **** it's got problems" You can't insult this guy (very personally I might add) without insulting 85 % of the people here who were thinking the same thing :****:

What the crap? The escalated quickly. That was my first thought too. It's a known fact that dodge transmissions are junk.

MoparMan said:
A little sensitive aren't you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MoparMan said:

Before throwing "comments" about people being a dumbass, you may want to check your grammar and spelling. Spell Check is free. :) With that being said, what you said was entirely out of line and in poor taste. This is Hardline, people bust each others balls about stuff like that. If you can't handle taking a jab here or there about something so trivial as a comment about a vehicle brand, maybe it is you who should remain silent.
Your gonna have to grow thicker skin for this group.

ljholmann said:
Before throwing "comments" about people being a dumbass, you may want to check your grammar and spelling. Spell Check is free. :) With that being said, what you said was entirely out of line and in poor taste. This is Hardline, people bust each others balls about stuff like that. If you can't handle taking a jab here or there about something so trivial as a comment about a vehicle brand, maybe it is you who should remain silent.
Your gonna have to grow thicker skin for this group.

Yep, so maybe I was a little too drunk and misspelled a few things. Oh well. I am still not sorry, or apologizing for what I said. Trust me, I have taken plenty of crap on here for being a Mopar guy. Your late husband use to give me crap all the time. And I will take it from most people, but there are a few on here that rub me the wrong way. Trust me, I know this is Hardline, but it ain't what it use to be. Guess I just need to move on. Thanks

Latest posts