• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Questions i have about buggy building.

Hello everyone on this community I'm Bruno and I'm new here and into buggy building and my dream car is not a super expensive Lambo or a Ferrari, my dream car is one of those rock crawlers you see out there on youtube in channels like MadRam11 or Busted KnuckleVideo. I just installed Solidworks (3D modeling Program design thingy) and my first question is whats the normal/best tube size for the chassy? (diameter and thickness). 2º question whats the best way to bend metal tube? Because Ive heard that is not that simple . and that is not just by using a cheap hydraulic bender but i might be wrong.

Thanks for reading
Best regards

I see that you're from Portugal in your profile. Do you have a shop currently and what kind of experience do you have with metal working?

I'm writing this as the potential for people to criticize you may be prevalent and push you away from pursuing this opportunity. I think we can all agree that this community wants to help guide more people to the sport but also ensure safety of all those involved. Hope you get some good tips

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Hi MihlfeldL. I had a course of 2,5 years about car body works and car painting so basically i just touched in thin sheets of metal. in that course i learned and used oxy welding (mig/mag welding 100 hours) some grinder works at home and during the course. I'm just a huge fan of rock bouncers i just never done this type of projects.
Do i have a shop? what do you mean a shop to buy stuff to build a buggy or do you think i have a shop just because you saw my buggy profile pic?
the pic of the buggy i found it in the internet its not mine and i dont remember where i got it XD

I think he just meant to ask if you have somewhere to work. What tools are available, etc...

Tube size varies. I've seen anywhere from 1.5-2". Most use .25" wall. But totally depends on where it's being used. I've seen thinner and thicker depending on use

I would say the most common tube on buggies you have seen racing online are 1.75 inch outside diameter seamless DOM tube with a thickness varying between. 120 in and .188 in. The thicker tube is used on the lower frame rail and the upper tube work like the A pillar that will take the most abuse. Most are MIG welded and tube is usually bent with a die and follower style bender that produces mandrel bends. I put a link to one example below. There are quite a few build threads on this site and Pirate 4x4 forum that should help give you an idea and answer many of the basic questions you haven't thought to ask yet.

https://www.trick-tools.com/JD2_Model_32_Hydraulic_Tubing_Bender_Deluxe_Kit_Deluxe32H_4656

Edit: Also, it's the internet so you can do whatever you want, but I wouldn't put someone else's buggy as your avatar.

If you plan on competing the organization that writes the rules on chassis requirements is a good place to start. Chassis design also has a lot to do with what size tubing you can run and have something that is safe. 95% of the chassis I build are 1.75" x .120 wall or 2" x .120 wall DOM tubing. We do go with a heavier wall thickness or sleeve the tube internally with aluminum if the customer is going to abuse the chassis and wants a little more dent resistance. The best advice I can give you is to purchase the best bender and notcher you can afford in the size tubing you wish to use. I personally like to use die's with the smallest CLR possible (My bender is a model 32 from JD2). Then get yourself a copy of bendtech as it will be easier to use than solidworks for the novice.

Hey Bruno,

Being in Portugal, I'd definitely look into getting to meet the guys that race and have experience in your country.

Give a phone call to Caimerao, F-Racing, Emmanual Costa etc.

Also, the Ultra4 race in Portugal is happening in September. Go there. Talk to the guys. Ask your questions. They will answer with the right stuff for you considering you are in Europe and the tools and material there are different from here in the USA.

For tubing, you can use some TU37b (10305-4 E235+N), main tubes in 45mm OD, 3mm thickness. Chassis rails and rock rails should be done in 5mm thick minimum. You can go up to 8, after that it's really overkill. If you were to race or build a heavy buggy, you can look into stepping up to 50mm OD tubes for more strength. Same thickness.

As for the "shop" comment, they don't mean it as a literal shop to buy stuff, but as a contraction to the word "workshop", ie a place to work in.

Ty everione so far on recomendations and ive changed my profile pic sorry for using a profile pic with doesnt belong to me, also the new profile pic is my brother new project wich had the engine restored and still is making problems :(

Someone sugested i went to the ultra 4 race here in portugal and i just checked where it is and its a long ride to there its a 5 hour ride non stop.

xXBrunoBMCMPTXx said:
Ty everione so far on recomendations and ive changed my profile pic sorry for using a profile pic with doesnt belong to me, also the new profile pic is my brother new project wich had the engine restored and still is making problems :(

Someone sugested i went to the ultra 4 race here in portugal and i just checked where it is and its a long ride to there its a 5 hour ride non stop.

People in the US drive 30+ hours to watch ultra4 races

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xXBrunoBMCMPTXx said:

uhhhhh, that's a picture of my daily driver... :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: jk

ADMINISTRATOR