• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1980 Toyota Lift Issue

you just need a new CV shaft. same length, until you do a doubler or upgrade to a later model tranny. the lift wont require lengthening of your DS :awesomework:

My friend with a 83 yota had to extnd his with a 4" lift and he has a l52 so I have to extend mine his barly had any length left at ride hight and would fall out if articulated :duh:

My friend with a 83 yota had to extnd his with a 4" lift and he has a l52 so I have to extend mine his barly had any length left at ride hight and would fall out if articulated :duh:

thats how everyone figures out the d-line is tooo short... like said you could do what chop shop says(cheap), or yes find a shaft from a newer rig,and redrill flanges..
the second is what i did the first time,and extended main tube 2 inches.. guess what it still popped apart.. the problem isnt the lenght of main tube its the length of the splines to allow for extra travel.. i couldnt even go over speed bumps.then i found a squar d-line someone had for $20.. no more 4wheel on the street but off rd i was going... after a couple years of listening to the clanking of the square tube i finally got sick of it...i ended up with my 85 d-line with an extended slip yoke(trail gear). my suggestion is to flex the hell out of it so when you get a d-line you know it wont pop right apart take measurments!!!! cause you will be mad when you do all this ,and over the first bump it falls out of the splines..
also you know some places sell a d-line spacer.. kind like a wheel spacer. put on at the flanges. i have seen many rigs with these(my sons yota) do fine especially if its not a total wheeler..

with a 4 inch lift spring for a toyota it will be fine with a stock slip yoke if tis the right length.

My roomate runs atoyota 4 inch spring and a stock cv and slip yoke. Its fine.

I run a super flexy very long (longer than marlins or TG springs) spring up front and I run a stock slipyoke. No problems.

Its all about placement of the slipyoke. Every spring is going to move and shift the axle differently.

If you run a chain or strap from the motor mount to the top of the diff and limit it an inch before it falls out you will be fine. It will be in the middle and only affect droop when the whole axle wants to fall out. It wont limit droop one tire at a time though. A limmiter in the middle of the axle still lets it flex as much as it needs to.

You dont want both tires fully drooping anyways. Ever notice the axle winches on buggies. Use it for a driveline fix and gain some performance too.:cool:

if your lift springs kept your axle some what close to the stock location you will not need to extend the DS. i helped a friend do a 4" procomp on his 80 and he never had any hint of DS problems. but if you moved your axle forward you may have to lengthen it. what lift are you running? and did you ever crack into the L52 i sold you?

if your lift springs kept your axle some what close to the stock location you will not need to extend the DS. i helped a friend do a 4" procomp on his 80 and he never had any hint of DS problems. but if you moved your axle forward you may have to lengthen it. what lift are you running? and did you ever crack into the L52 i sold you?

If its in the stock location it WILL need to be lenghtened.

You buddys shocks hay have been 1/2 ich form toppig out keeping it together.

On a toyota with a 3-4 inch lift it will need an extended shaft unless something else is keeping it from drooping.

If you keep arguing this basing you experience off of one truck that you dont even own, well........:rolleyes:

I was just just gonna say...every truck that is lifted in a different way, or set up differently to achieve the goal the owner's after----WILL LIKELY REQUIRE A DIFFERENT DRIVELINE THAN THE NEXT ONE!!!! Enough fellas... 83yotadlx, you need to measure for your d-line and figure it out from there, as everyone's gonna have something different until we know exactly what your after....:D

i have a chunk of OE yota DS tube that should get you to where you need to be i know its kind of a drive but if ya need it. :awesomework: