• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1st gen 4runner truck or suv?

toyota01

So on my way home today after dropping the little one off at day care I see a city cop coming the opposite direction, and of course he makes a u-turn to get me for a seat belt violation. I was honest with him and told him I was not wearing one at the time gave him all my info and so forth. He goes to his car I sit there waiting and waiting, 20mins goes by, he finally comes back explains why he is giving me a ticket for seat belt like I didn't know, then proceeds to tell me he is giving me a warning for having a child riding in the back of a truck. I told him that it was a 4runner which I would consider it being more of an suv since it has factory rear seating with seat belts for passengers. He says no its considered a truck because it doesn't have a FULL ROLL BAR? Yeah BULLSHIT! So I asked what he would consider a jeep wrangler? He said suv because it has a full roll bar I proceeded to show him pictures of factory jeep roll bar which isn't much different than the 4runner roll bar but it made no difference to him, he just told me not to let him catch me with anyone under 12 in the back. So does anyone know if it is legal to ride in the back of a 4runner?

What a stupid **** head cop, bet he was young also? I wouldn't worry about it, if he ****s with you again, tell him you will see him in court. That 4 runner is no different than a K5 blazer, Ford Bronco, etc.

zukimaster said:
What a stupid **** head cop, bet he was young also? I wouldn't worry about it, if he ****s with you again, tell him you will see him in court. That 4 runner is no different than a K5 blazer, Ford Bronco, etc.

X100

Nope older cop early 50's. I figured he was just being a **** and trying to meet his quota for the month. It also makes me wonder why I'm honest with the law? Seems every time I am the basterds still give me a ticket.

I wouldnt worry about it.

Does your 4runner have a factory roll bar in it?

My wife got ticketed in my 89 Bronco for "no rear bumper"... Well trucks don't have to have rear bumpers in TN (at the time).
Bronco is considered a passenger vehicle because the body is all one piece (no separate bed)