• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2004 GM 5.3 getting oil in radiator?

Oil pressure is 50+ psi. Coolant pressure is 15 psi. Highest pressure wins.

I know it's not the same engine but the 4.0 in my Jeep did this and it was a head gasket replacement that fixed the problem.

04 and some of 05 had the gay Mexican head castings= cracks around one of the center bolts=coolant loss and eventually if it's bad enough you will see it in the oil.
This may not be your exact issue but if you Google 5.3 coolant loss it will end you up at the Mexican cast heads if I remember correctly

RustyC said:
Oil pressure is 50+ psi. Coolant pressure is 15 psi. Highest pressure wins.

With the exception being: a warm engine that is turned off has no oil pressure and still has coolant pressure, maybe just not enough coolant pressure to force it's way back through the cracked journal into the crank case. Sounds stupid but I have seen it, not on a 5.3 though.

whiskeymakin said:
04 and some of 05 had the gay Mexican head castings= cracks around one of the center bolts=coolant loss and eventually if it's bad enough you will see it in the oil.
This may not be your exact issue but if you Google 5.3 coolant loss it will end you up at the Mexican cast heads if I remember correctly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gKstTBLckM

Pretty sure this is what you are talking about. And the leak won't show up sometimes unless it is torqued down, so the standard machine shop leak test using just block off plates in a dunk tank may not catch it.

If it's only happening on the side with the PCV then it may be sucking the coolant vapor in the intake.