• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

99-04 superduty 60 wheel seal

pplblazerdude

YESUMM
https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-14521138-dana-50-60-outer-stub-seal-99-04-superduty.html

For guys running superduty fronts are you running this seal? If yes how often do you have to change it. If no and pros or cons to itX mine locked up and made some grinding noises last trip so they need replaced. But I'm fine with not using them if that's fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pplblazerdude said:
https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-14521138-dana-50-60-outer-stub-seal-99-04-superduty.html

For guys running superduty fronts are you running this seal? If yes how often do you have to change it. If no and pros or cons to itX mine locked up and made some grinding noises last trip so they need replaced. But I'm fine with not using them if that's fine

On the 05+ unless you are using the vacuum hubs they're not needed. Mine went in the trash.

I would run them. I replaced em in my dd f250. They press on very tight, I would think they help stabilize the shaft as it's spinning but I dunno this to be true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Zjman said:
I would run them. I replaced em in my dd f250. They press on very tight, I would think they help stabilize the shaft as it's spinning but I dunno this to be true.

You have the needle bearing in the unit bearing. older 60s didn't have anything like this. Though there stub was longer.

That's interesting cause those seals are a pita and not cheap really. Might have to remember this next time I tear into one. Learned something new today

Zjman said:
That's interesting cause those seals are a pita and not cheap really. Might have to remember this next time I tear into one. Learned something new today

Yep I'd like to get away from them. I killed two this weekend?

I wouldn't wanna deal with those on the trail one bit, I have the tool but ya cant remove em without destroying em. With this seal gone won't it allow mud and junk to get inside the knuckle? I know the wheel bearing is sealed but looks like a lot of mud could get in there

Zjman said:
I wouldn't wanna deal with those on the trail one bit, I have the tool but ya cant remove em without destroying em. With this seal gone won't it allow mud and junk to get inside the knuckle? I know the wheel bearing is sealed but looks like a lot of mud could get in there

Yes That's the only issue I could possibly see. What tool are you talking about. All I use is a cold chisel

I have a home made tool to drive the seal on, cost less than 20 bucks to make
812f207a618518dc1dae3c882505eee9.jpg

Zjman said:

I mean a regular Dana 60 axle tube will fill up with water and mud all day long what's it gonna hurt to let the knuckle get a little muddy. Unit bearings are sealed anyway. So far I've had no issues.

redneckengineered said:
I mean a regular Dana 60 axle tube will fill up with water and mud all day long what's it gonna hurt to let the knuckle get a little muddy. Unit bearings are sealed anyway. So far I've had no issues.
Hey I'm just trying to wrap my head around a good idea. I hate those seals

There are thousands of aftermarket axle assemblies running ford unit bearings with no additional sealing.

I wouldn't run them.

TBItoy said:
There are thousands of aftermarket axle assemblies running ford unit bearings with no additional sealing.

I wouldn't run them.

I'm not putting them back. They suck