• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

A little trick for my pals. Tube notching 101. Answered prayers !

kushKrawlin

If ya wanna know a awesome trick to notching tube.. Here it is. Wanted to share. If ur a pro, u may not need this. But this **** has helped me close the gaps and I have wasted ZERO pieces of tubing, and haven't cut any to short since this formula. 2 thumbs up from me!!! Amazing. So glad I watched and listened.
http://youtu.be/mHBanmfn_CA

Have always used a 3 cut method. Didn't watch the whole vid, but get the gist of what he's saying. Hold tube outside of tube to intersect with, cut the overall angle about 3/8" long, up to 1/2", make the top and bottom depth of cope and go cut you main angle first, then several degrees sharper and cut off your intersection lines.

Would one of those things that you always see in the back of offroad magazines that slides over a piece of pipe and has multiple needles that marks your contour help make this even faster or are they just a gimmick? I've always wondered about those

onepieceatatime said:
Would one of those things that you always see in the back of offroad magazines that slides over a piece of pipe and has multiple needles that marks your contour help make this even faster or are they just a gimmick? I've always wondered about those

They help in some situations but very few that you can't just use a notcher or free-hand faster. I have a set at the shop that I've only ever used once or twice in about 10 years.

Always wondered about them but figured if they really worked that well, I would see a lot more people using them.

I USED THIS METHOD ON MOST OF MY BUGGY MAINLY CAUSE MY CHEAP ASS NOTCHER DIDNT WORK LIKE I WANTED IT SO INSTEAD OF GOIN BROKE OR WAITING ON SOMEONE ELSE TO DO WHAT I COULD DO I JUS TOOK ALOT OF TIME WITH GRINDERSAND CUT OFF WHEELS AND GOT ER DONE !!!! :woot: :woot:

Re: Re: A little trick for my pals. Tube notching 101. Answered prayers !

patooyee said:
They help in some situations but very few that you can't just use a notcher or free-hand faster. I have a set at the shop that I've only ever used once or twice in about 10 years.
I agree.

I mark and free hand notch with a port-a-band 99% of the time.

I've used my pipe master maybe 1 or 2 times on off angle multiple tube nodes.

One of the best things I've ever done to speed up using my notcher is cut some sample notches in some junk tubing and label them. I have 3 pieces about 8" - 12" long. I painted them red to make them easy to find in the shop. One has a 10* and 15* notch in it. The next has a 20* and 30*. The next has 40* and 50*. I work exclusively with 1.5 and 1.75 tube so mine are made out of 1.75 and can be used on 1.5 as well. Instead of measuring angles and such I can just hold a sample up to where I want and see if it points in the right direction. Then I know what to set my notcher for. If its between 40 and 50 I'll set it to 45 and then go from there.

onepieceatatime said:

Same experience as the above mentioned.

Not that impressed. and it works "OK". I have probably used mine twice.

Actually.......works great.....want to buy mine? molaugh

Re:

I use my pipemastee 1.5 wish I had a 1.75...
I retired my chop saw cause I hated to use it. 74, what size and how much?

slravenel said:
not going to lie...i have left and filled alot bigger than that haha :wtflol:
when I was learning how to weld a guy used to tell me that if you could step over it, you could fill it.

patooyee said:
One of the best things I've ever done to speed up using my notcher is cut some sample notches in some junk tubing and label them. I have 3 pieces about 8" - 12" long. I painted them red to make them easy to find in the shop. One has a 10* and 15* notch in it. The next has a 20* and 30*. The next has 40* and 50*. I work exclusively with 1.5 and 1.75 tube so mine are made out of 1.75 and can be used on 1.5 as well. Instead of measuring angles and such I can just hold a sample up to where I want and see if it points in the right direction. Then I know what to set my notcher for. If its between 40 and 50 I'll set it to 45 and then go from there.

Very good idea.. I'll remember that..