• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Affordable band saw?

85toyo

I've been looking around for a decent vertical metal band saw that I can fit into my budget. Mostly everything I have found is in the 2-3000 range which I can't justify spending the money on. The other option would be a port-a-band with a swag Offroad table to mount it on. Does anyone have any suggestions for a band saw or experience with the table mounted porta band?

Dude I bought one of the Swag tables and mounted my Dewalt porta band to it and this little thing has proved to be the handiest tool in my shop :****:

WhitePower027.jpg

Re: Re: Affordable band saw?

Believe it or not, the harbor freight band saw is nice. Most folks throw the stock blade away but I was able to get 15 or 20 cuts on it. Just put a name brand blade on it and go to town. With the 20% coupon it's a steal. Or the coupons that come in off road mags.

I haven't used the hf saw in the vertical position but it does have the lock out to keep it up.

I missed the vertical part on the first post. 8)

pachary said:
I'm thinking affordable and that picture don't exactly go hand in hand....
That was just a quick google search for a picture to explain what I wanted. Doesn't have to be that big or nice.

TBItoy said:
I've got a JET HVBS 7MW
http://www.jettools.com/us/manufacturing/en/product.html?node=21483&product=1546971

works good, horizontal or vertical.

The head flips up vertical and it's got a bed that bolts on it.

For notching tube, you cant beat a port-a-band though. I use a table vise and a hand held port a band to do all my notches.
That's a good price. I was never aware that you could lock those in a vertical position and use a table. Learn something new everyday

85toyo said:
That's a good price. I was never aware that you could lock those in a vertical position and use a table. Learn something new everyday

I only gave $1200 for mine, I originally bought it to cut up a couple hundred feet of stainless shafting that I was scrapping (under 3' pieces tripled the $, so it paid for itself)

TBItoy said:
For notching tube, you cant beat a port-a-band though. I use a table vise and a hand held port a band to do all my notches.

Sorryto thread hijack but how do you do this?

blacksheep10 said:
Same as chop saw nothching. Cut you main angle about 1/2" past your marks then cut 2 sharper angles down to your marks. In most cases I can do 3 cuts and have a gap that is about perfect. Worst case if you're tigging tune it with a 4" grinder.

Gotcha, i know about the chop saw method, and hate it, prolly a lot better with a bandsaw :dblthumb:

I cut tube to length on my horizontal saw. (usually)

I only do 2 cuts to actually notch the tube. O hold the saw "backwards" and cut towards me. Chop a "half moon" out of each side.

I'll take some pics next week

TBItoy said:
I cut tube to length on my horizontal saw. (usually)

I only do 2 cuts to actually notch the tube. O hold the saw "backwards" and cut towards me. Chop a "half moon" out of each side.

I'll take some pics next week
1 cut to length
2 cut a half moon
3cut a half moon

Those are the 3 I was referring to