• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chromecast users? Everybody loves a cheap thrill!

tonybolton

Bypass Crawler
So....i'm a few months late on this device which in technology/electronics is approximately 27 years living in a cave. However, after thinking I needed to buy a whole new TV to get WiFi/videos/crap on my TV from a phone/media device, this 35$ invention should keep me entertained on those nothing but info-mercial on days. **** your P90X...imma get fat an' live! ;)

What is Chromecast? http://www.amazon.com/Google-Chromecast-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B00DR0PDNE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393924940&sr=8-1&keywords=chromecast

Or get it at Wal-Mart...same price.

While I think i'm pretty tech savvy on figuring electronic stuff out, i'm by no means the measuring stick. This device is pretty simple. Plug it in your TV, read the screen, get on your phone and goto the web addy and set it up and put in your WiFi password. COMPLETE.

Pretty cool watchin' my YouTube videos with a click of a button on a big screen. ;) But my main reason for getting this was to watch the FREE movies YouTube has. They're out there, mostly oldies...but thats what I like. Good ol cheesy horror movie stuff. There are other services available....but they cost money. 2,4,5 and so on dollars. I'm too cheap for even 2$ ;)

It was pretty neat watchin' one of my favorite movies of all time with just a click on my phone......CHRISTINE Any other users have any good full movie links? Brushed up on my South Park and some other documentaries(Chernobyl....WWII stuff....yadda yadda....)

CHRISTINE, TRENDSETTER VERSION

I use mine for the MR11 & BK vids. Use it for when I'm doing my drawings in CAD to have a bigger screen. Use it to show my kids REAL cartoons (Tom & Jerry before they were considered racist). Use it to play games on my tablet.

bradzuki said:
I use mine for the MR11 & BK vids. Use it for when I'm doing my drawings in CAD to have a bigger screen. Use it to show my kids REAL cartoons (Tom & Jerry before they were considered racist). Use it to play games on my tablet.
Its a rat and a cat who on God's green earth considers that racist? :dunno:

Oh yeah they do :afro:

They need to :gtfo:

Chromecast is great. Let's me use my Plex media server account on it. Way cheaper than Netflix and all new movies and tv shows.

I got my mom something similar to this for Christmas a few years ago. The one I got her came with it's own wireless keyboard which is easier for her since she's not great with smart phones. Very cool being able to surf the web on the tv.

I live in one of two boxes. Posts like this are my only link to new technology. Buying two today. One for home and one for the store. :dblthumb:

zjtrey said:
we just got a ROKU a few weeks back… will probably drop cable tv service eventually..

I bought a Roku a few months back. I'm an Amazon Prime member and they have a few decent movies available, mostly crappy ones though. Beyond that I haven't found a reason to bother switching input back to Roku at all. I see people saying the same as you all the time though so what am I missing? I've even started a thread about this on this site. But so far the Roku was a waste.

Apple TV here to watch Youtube and have a netflix account i split with 4 other people. Works awesome. I wont pay for cable and I borrow internet from the neighbors (parents) or use 4g hotspot that my company pays for.

patooyee said:
I bought a Roku a few months back. I'm an Amazon Prime member and they have a few decent movies available, mostly crappy ones though. Beyond that I haven't found a reason to bother switching input back to Roku at all. I see people saying the same as you all the time though so what am I missing? I've even started a thread about this on this site. But so far the Roku was a waste.

We use the roku with Netflix.. the wife got hooked on Lost when she did the free month of netflix.. she quickly learned as I did in the past that mailing dvd's back and forth sucked and she wasn't going to be happy with it.. long story short I picked up a roku 2 cheap, she changed her netflix account to streaming and we watch it a pretty good bit now. I never have to spend much time trudging through netflix to find something I want to watch.

Its kinda gotten us hooked on DVR'ing the show's we like to watch on cable while we watch roku so we basically never watch commercials anymore and since our schedules are different we get to watch our shows together which works for us..

I don't keep up with the electronics world so I have no idea how roku stacks up against whatever else is out there but its working for us. Its fun to be able to watch older seasons of show's we've gotten interested in and show's from networks we don't' get on cable ect...

What are you watching on Netflix? All the movies available for streaming are old. What else is there?

So far we've been catching up on tv series we weren't into when they started like Lost, Walking Dead, Revolution, Heroes.. The wife has several other series she's gotten into. I stay pretty busy working and keeping up our little homestead so if I watch TV for more than an hour its pretty rare so its not tough to keep me entertained lol.. Roku also works with Pandora so its pretty sweet to have tunes in the house.. There are some other streaming sources set up in the roku that we haven't explored..

74_Chevota said:
Apple TV here to watch Youtube and have a netflix account i split with 4 other people. Works awesome. I wont pay for cable and I borrow internet from the neighbors (parents) or use 4g hotspot that my company pays for.
Apple Tv costs three times as much as Chrome Cast though

this is true, but @ $89 it was worth it to me to be able to throw pictures and video from my phone on the tv. plus if im watching a video on my phone I can hit 1 button on my phone and it throws it on my TV.

Pretty much pays for itself in one month if you cancel your cable.