• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Drive shaft shortening.

Horus

So who are we using to get drive shafts shortened locally? While I've got it out it'd be good to get my latest Tom Woods ****up fixed. It needs to be cut down 1.25 inches. No rebalance needed.

You can cut it and put it back together. Take note of yoke/phase orientation and duplicate it upon reassembly.

Then take it down to Johns and get it buzzed back together or a decent local muffler guy that can weld it for cheap or bring it down here and I burn it back together for ya.

You got most of us hobos beat. We just hack it apart and burn the wobbly thing back together. We don't got that magical metal cutting numbers thingy going on like you!

Any driveline shop is likely going to tell you it needs new brakes, and alignment, a tune up and new tires before they can send it out the door.

I appreciate the offers guys. If it were the front shaft a garage style hack-n-zap would most likely be fine. For rear shaft I'd kinda like to find reasonable guy/shop who is setup to do this kinda thing. Aukeem was my go-to until he retired. I don't need it rebalanced but I still like to take my rig Milton on occasion for auto parts and tacos, so it does need to be true.

I've kept quiet, because I'm reluctant to pot stir. But Tom Woods has gone above and beyond for me, on a couple of occasions. Your original post implied Tom has wronged you, so, why aren't you just sending it back to Tom to fix?

I'm the exact opposite. I think he's gotten one of the shafts I've had him make right. It is currently on a shelf at ACRaO snapped in half at the weld between tube and male splined portion. First shaft I got was 6 inches too long. The second front shaft fit but with only only about two inches of slip spline engagement. When I reluctantly ordered the 1410 rear shaft I currently run I got to talk to Tom on the phone. I specifically told him I needed 35.5 inches nominal length. When I got the shaft the tag on it said 37.25. Sure enough upon fitment, too long. I was at a deadline so I pushed the rear axle back an inch and a half and have been running that way ever since.

Between them being flatly wrong 3 out of 4 times or just plain failing at the weld (front shaft on Waterfall at TSF) I can't endorse his business regardless of what his general reputation is. I know better.

No more Tom Woods shafts for me.

Je reel then?? Ive never been impressed tom woods either.. i bought one of his shafts years ago and the spline stub wasn't true and welded.. he wouldnt fix his crappy work then and i doubt he would now. You could call Joe but hes gotten really expensive for drivelines. I dont think he'd be cost effective. His work is awesome though.

Fleet Pride in Tacoma used to be best price for driveline work. Not sure if they still do that work on site, heard the prices have gone up some.
Could be worth a phone call.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Drivelines NW has done me good but they aren't cheap.
Definitely not cheap.

Called them to see about re-tubing a shaft. While granted they were local, and could do it in pretty much a day, the price they quoted me over the phone, using my old junk, was more than I could order a completely new shaft, with new spicer joints installed, and have it freight to my door from Denny's Driveshaft on-line.

That said I cobbled together some crap I had laying around and made something work to I could play in the snow, then scored a used Tom Woods at the swapmeet that I'll run for now.

I thinks its just the curse of the economy in this area. Cost a s-ton of money just to keep the lights on in the PNW, Seattle especially. If I needed something in a pinch however, I go there.

Drivelines NW has done me good but they aren't cheap.

This...^^^

$110 to re-tube my shitty old front shaft and clean-up some problems with it a couple years ago.

I am due to take the front back to them now that I laid the rig on it a couple times and candy cane'd it. It has a slight wobble that you can barely see.

I will have them give it a bit more length (I measured wrong last time :looser:) and thicker tube this time.

They are close enough to drive and take in person.