• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Enlarging Hole

John Galbreath Jr.

38 Special & Solo Buggy
I changed my battery disconnects and the hole size was larger.

deab81761f50f53e677abf7ade60489c.jpg

I enlarged the holed with a die grinder, but a hole saw would have been a lot easier and faster. What is the way to enlarge a hole using a hole saw. Size was about 3/4", new is about 1-1/4". I remember seeing a trick on how to align, but could not remember it today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk with my left thumb.

I have never tried it but I do remember seeing this recently. Cut out the larger hole in a piece of wood, then clamp the wood to the material you want to drill.

For my application, a step bit would not work. I have those in the box. I needed to keep one side of the hole at the same location and enlarge one direction for clearance issues. Guess that would also preclude Pipers suggestion of using the hole saw as a line up, but that one is a great idea. Wood block would work, but there would have been no way to clamp in place in the finished interior of the Solo Buggy. Using the die grinder worked. But, I kept thinking, what if this was 1/4" steel rather than less than 1/8" aluminum.

Thanks for the ideas.

Done this two ways.

#1 used wood but couldnt clamp it, so used self tapping screws in the "drop" area of the carbon fiber. Then drilled a pilot hole through the carbon and into the woodblock. Proceeded with hole saw but made sure to lean it toward the cut and away from the edge of the old hole. I was scared a tooth would hook on that edge and kick or make the holesaw walk. Worked ok.... covered the subpar cut edge with a bezel. Carbon can sometimes fray on the edge and thats what happened on this one. Probably should have found a finer tooth holesaw.

#2 No way to get wood or metal in and clamped. So I backed up the piece with another piece of aluminum and welded it in. Then drilled my pilot and proceeded with the hole saw. Worked like a champ.

For small holes or centered alreadt holes, I'm a step-bit whore.

JohnG said:
what if this was 1/4" steel rather than less than 1/8" aluminum.

I think it would be easier in that case. Tack-weld a 3/4" piece of 1/4 in the old hole, drill your pilot hole where you need it, and cut the tacked-in piece out with your new, bigger hole saw.

patooyee said:
I think it would be easier in that case. Tack-weld a 3/4" piece of 1/4 in the old hole, drill your pilot hole where you need it, and cut the tacked-in piece out with your new, bigger hole saw.

This... If you can weld aluminum.