• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Link to Rockwell Ackerman post??? Patooyee...

slytowncrawler2

Do work son
I been digging and digging
I can't remember was it in the "Rockwell makes yer sac swell" post??
If so I ain't found it yet??? Anyone got the link to the loooong discussion patooyee started on this???
My new rig will be daily"d from time to time and want steering perfect...

are you buying/building custom high steer arms?

Otherwise you are kinda stuck with using the stock steering arm location (behind the knuckle).

The actual #s for ackerman aren't "THAT" important, otherwise there would be different knuckles for a Reg Cab/LB F250 vs a CC/LB.

You just want your ackerman angle to be the correct direction.

Was mostly wanting to read on it for the science of it all. For my knowledge.....
Proper Ackerman if I remember for rocks...is with tie rod on backside of axle. Right??

I don't think tie rod placement matters. Changes in Ackerman are mostly affected by the relation between the tie rod end and pivot of the knuckle. As in, how far forward (or behind) and how far inboard or outboard the rod ends are compared to the balljoint or kingpin.

Re: Link to Rockwell Ackerman post? Patooyee...

slytowncrawler2 said:
Was mostly wanting to read on it for the science of it all. For my knowledge.....
Proper Ackerman if I remember for rocks...is with tie rod on backside of axle. Right??

With the stock steering arms (or high steer that angles in the same way), Yes the tie rod will be on the backside.

If you google Ackerman angle, there are diagrams showing what it is. Draw a top view of the vehicle with a line connecting the the tie rod hole, knuckle pivot point, and center of the rear diff. That's "ideal" Ackerman supposedly. Track width, wheelbase, etc change things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray. I'm building my old truck from highschool. I just want a decent all around trail rig.... stacking parts for a buggy but this one is sentimental ...... wanna be able to trail it and daily as well 5.3 th400/205 and rockwells I'd like 43s but will settle for boggers.

slytowncrawler2 said:
Ray. I'm building my old truck from highschool. I just want a decent all around trail rig.... stacking parts for a buggy but this one is sentimental ...... wanna be able to trail it and daily as well 5.3 th400/205 and rockwells I'd like 43s but will settle for boggers.

That sounds cool! Post up some pics when u get it going.

Thanks Eddie ....

Red94yj I've ran them on the street before. They chatter and they get hot.... but I've drove them all over.... I've also run the drums on high way but prolly gone build a disk break setup this time around and full hydro steering ...

I'm sure it will be cool Will! I'll be following it .
I've been thinkin about a truggy to replace my ranger for trail and hunting duty . Leafs in the bck and links I'm the front so I can still tow decent with it ... just thoughts at this point !