• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

North Alabama Transmission shop for 4L80 rebuild

xjkrawler

Looking for a transmission shop in the north Alabama area that can rebuild the 4l80e in my 00 2500. I've heard Billy Landers in muscle shoals is a good one. Looking for others.

We have replaced probably 50 across both fleets I manage in 8 years and not once has a shop suggested rebuilding one. They always say to put a Jasper or GM one in it because they can't stand behind a rebuild as long as the other two will stand behind theirs. Most of our trucks are in small towns so it could be an issue of not having anyone to do it or they know a Jasper/GM one will get us on the road quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theres a transmission shop/guy in Morgan City that must be pretty good . His shop is always busy and i have noticed a pretty quick turn around on the vehicles that sit outside. 256) 498-1062
I dont have any personal experience with him though so he might just be the only guy in the area that will work on a transmission. :dunno:

I 2nd the GM reman trans, especially if it's something your going to keep and drive, there is a lot of electronic solonoids in those things that rinky dinky shops will not replace, they just replace the basic clutches and seals, will not last long! But PTC is a top notch shop, and has a Dyno machine to run the trans on and check all pressures and for leaks.

zukimaster said:
I 2nd the GM reman trans, especially if it's something your going to keep and drive, there is a lot of electronic solonoids in those things that rinky dinky shops will not replace, they just replace the basic clutches and seals, will not last long! But PTC is a top notch shop, and has a Dyno machine to run the trans on and check all pressures and for leaks.

Thats what I was afraid of with the shops. It is in a truck I am planning to keep for a few years and I do a fair amount of towing with it.

Josh Rohling at Rohling Diesel Repair. Member on here under Rohlingoffroad.

He is in Muscle Shoals. 256-284-0257

Dustin Mewbourn at Mewbourn Racing in Tuscumbia.

256-383-5413

Either one do great work and stand behind it.

money_pit_yj said:
We have replaced probably 50 across both fleets I manage in 8 years and not once has a shop suggested rebuilding one. They always say to put a Jasper or GM one in it because they can't stand behind a rebuild as long as the other two will stand behind theirs. Most of our trucks are in small towns so it could be an issue of not having anyone to do it or they know a Jasper/GM one will get us on the road quicker.

The warranty is key here, truck breaks down anywhere and it gets fixed at a Jasper dealer or at a GM dealer instead of having to go back to the shop that originally did the rebuild. Plus a shop doesn't want your truck sitting on a lift for a day or 3 while they get the trans built, when they can just take one out and put one in.

zukimaster said:

That's why so many rebuilds are cheaper. My builder puts all new electronics in every one he does, he also misses getting some rebuilds because that prices some of them right where a reman unit is.

Well after researching the jasper page and GM site it appears a new one would be $2800 or so. Being that I am probably not going to keep the truck more than a few years I may just go the rebuild route... or just go with a new torque converter since that really seems to be the only issue I am having with it right now. Of course my luck I will swap the converter and the transmission will crap out on me not long after...

You could also talk to monster trans. They have a warranty and address key parts that fail in a stock reman. I did and it paid off. They have lots of vids online talking about the upgrades that all 4l60 should get

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

Ive heard both good and bad. I personally used them for knowledge. Did not purchase from them. Like i said there vids are good and in depth. I had a shop build mine with some info i learned and it payed off. Cheaper and better.

cbrjeeper said:
You could also talk to monster trans. They have a warranty and address key parts that fail in a stock reman. I did and it paid off. They have lots of vids online talking about the upgrades that all 4l60 should get

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

The Walmart of transmission builders. More like dollar general :****: