• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

RAD Designs Shifters for AW4 trans

rpf500

Guys,

I just picked up an AW4 from a 98 Cherokee to swap in place of my AX15. I do NOT have the TCU from the Cherokee. It looks like RAD Designs has what I need to make this work. From what I can understand, I basically end up with 2 shifters, and it's essentially a "manual valve body" type of operation. Someone who uses this or has seen it can hopefully correct me if I am wrong.

Any others thoughts or advice is welcome.

Yes you will have two shifters. The stock shifter will control drive reverse and park. The Rad will change the gears. I think Wod has one shifter that controls both. Maybe I seen where someone modified one of the art carrs from wod. I didnt see it on the site.

Re:

I thought RAD has a modified Winters shifter that is all in one now also, but I may be wrong.

Re: Re: RAD Designs Shifters for AW4 trans

No need for two shifters with this setup.

dc0e44d9f4d3c985261f3b5c9bcdc2e1.jpg

de2d7020a456ace6ee8c550f516d3182.jpg

0d1093ac0446083da86e0139035bb3fc.jpg

Re: Re: RAD Designs Shifters for AW4 trans

Rokcrler said:
No need for two shifters with this setup.

dc0e44d9f4d3c985261f3b5c9bcdc2e1.jpg

de2d7020a456ace6ee8c550f516d3182.jpg

0d1093ac0446083da86e0139035bb3fc.jpg

Tell me more sir. I am auto trans ignorant. No TCU needed from donor vehicle or anything? What about the lock up convertor? Are you wiring a switch for that like some people are doing? I assume that lets select the gear you want and stay there no matter the RPMS or whatever?

Sorry for all the questions. I tried to get a TF999 and have been looking. $500 was cheapest I could find. Then last night looked on CL and some guy is cleaning **** out and sold me this AW4 for $50!! So now I'm ready to get this going.

Re:

AW4 is solenoid actuated, with this shifter there's no need for the factory shifter to get you park and forward gear selection. Toggle for TC lockup. This holds the gear you select until you shift.
I haven't installed yet, still in parts gathering stage.
Chilkat on here has his running but with a different shifter.

The winters with the fancy switches in it are nice, make sure to adjust your TV cable though at the throttle body, the stock configuration didn't shift hard enough or fast enough. After adjusting, it's perfect, you also don't get any compression braking if you put it in just 1st with the rad shifter and keep the main shifter in drive. They both need to be in first or second or third. Hard to explain, but the winters shifter does all that for you. Great buy, until you look into swapping engines and transmissions 8 months after the build is complete.