• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Solar Power and NG Generator

L

lowbudgetjunk

I am looking to try and get ideas knocked out at once. Solar Power guy stops in, talks about grants, tax deductions, getting paid for putting power back on the system, yada yada yada. Is this the actual case? Can these systems pay themselves off in 5-7 years? Will they last long enough to make the hassle worth it? It will cost me between $75 and $100k to power my store. That will cover the $1500-$2000 power bill and put some power back into the grid. Some locals are raving about their systems, but I guess I am still a little skeptical. Southern Solar is one compamy and Ace Solar Llc is the other. Tos some thoughts out if you will.

The other question is for a NG generator. Lowes put one in for my brother at just over $7k at 22kw. I will need a slightly bigger unit, but in the same ballpark. Is there a better company to deal with? What are the best generators for the long run? How much maintenance is required with these jewels?

:dunno: TVA buys back too **** :flipoff1:

I love the fact that I know so little about the world I live in. TVA, thanks for letting me pay for the transformers to pay to you electric fees :flipgotcha:

Re:

40% buyback premium per kW/hr, 30% tax credit first year, 25% depreciation first year, 20% REAP gov't grant. Basically I am getting 100k worth of solar for $25k. It pays 8k of my power bill per year....so in three years, its paid for and I'll do it again. Anyone wants any details, let me know. I get nothing for it, but will be able to give you insight from my experience.

BTW, 3 phase power equals 3x the cost of a generator. From $7200 to just over 22k
Kel Lawrence

Re:

I just signed on for the solar panels. 5 weeks is the start date and they should finish up mid summer 37kw system if my memory serves me correctly. I am stoked and a little anxious at the same time.

Kel Lawrence

payne97 said:
the solar company should be able to tell you the facts but I believe its a government standard for them to buy back

it is a government standard, but the power companies have caps on how many meters they will buy power back from and its a small percentage. i cannot speak for your area, but Entergy, here, has agreed to buy power back from only .5% of the installed base. its similar around the country, but others are much more reasonable at 5% and 10% of installed base.

watch out for the solar companies, they will use this to influence your decision and rush you to buy. they will use the customer cap to hurry your decision. there are definitely some stand up solar companies out there, but like anything, there are crooks too. do your homework.

I have found that ANY company or industry that the government invests in goes bankrupt. Then on the back end there is ZERO money to be made or saved by purchasing these goods or services.

Solar power is cool but one of the most inefficient power supplies on the planet. To think that you will ever get your money back is silly.

They have Einstein geniuses working numbers to ensure that they make money rather than you.

My 2 cents. I love my texas instruments solar calculator and it's miller time right now

Re:

The depreciation and grant money is where I'm getting some help. Guy wasn't pushy, I crunched numbers and I assure you I will come out ahead. I'll keep tabs on it and post up once I hit the break even point.

Kel Lawrence

if your store is mainly open during daylight hours, I say it will pay back, even if slightly longer than planned. If there are a lot of hours in the dark, you will want to factor in the cost of storage. That is if you wanted to try and pull as little as possible from the grid.

If they are installing grid-tie inverters, and the system isn't much larger then your needs, storage isn't much worth the cost. Most of the systems Ive seen being used these days are grid-tie vs storage.

paradisepwoffrd said:
if your store is mainly open during daylight hours, I say it will pay back, even if slightly longer than planned. If there are a lot of hours in the dark, you will want to factor in the cost of storage. That is if you wanted to try and pull as little as possible from the grid.

If they are installing grid-tie inverters, and the system isn't much larger then your needs, storage isn't much worth the cost. Most of the systems Ive seen being used these days are grid-tie vs storage.

No storage on this end....that equals lotsa doll hairs and more space than I have. I am setting up for about half of my power bill. If I had more space, I might go bigger.