• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Steering coolers

Wannabecrawler

I just bought a new buggy and am having steering problems looking for some advice! The buggy has all Toyota running gear and the steering system is a Trail Gear Rock Assault system with a single ended ram and the pump whines extremely loud when the temp gets up. The cooler is mounted behind the radiator instead of in front because there is not enough room in front that's where the fan is so I believe the heat from the radiator is not helping the steering cooler so my real question is since I'm new at all this what type remote cooler system works real well, I have been looking at the heat sink style coolers but Trail Gear says do not use them with their pumps. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Brannon, I will call you later today to discuss.

1) Length of return hose?
2) Diameter of return hose?
3) Is return hose a suction hose?
4) Is filler cap highest item in the system?
5) Was all all air purged from system as it is new?
6) What fluid are you running?
7) Can you get pictures of lines and components?

John G is dead on, on the information needed.

If the pump whines, its starving.
-Could be too small diameter line
-Could be non-suction rated on the supply into the pump so the pump is sucking it closed like a straw.
-Could be the resevoir or supply has high spots and are trapping air and causing fluid to not flow past the airbubble and thus starving the pump.

Fighting steering issues sucks!

I ran psc tc pumps as per there instructions and burnt them up. now running krc with no problems and no whine at wot compared to psc

twiztedzuki said:
I ran psc tc pumps as per there instructions and burnt them up. now running krc with no problems and no whine at wot compared to psc

Guess it depend on the setuyp. I went through 2 KRCs and switched to PSC.

I run agr and have never had a issue with all the racing ive done. Matt at agr is the man when it comes to pumps.

If this thread derails into another steering co. debate, I'm going MattO jihad on errbody. :****:

Howe is the best. or maybe Pro-Am.

John and Wyatt are hitting the nail on the head. You really have to make sure everything is balanced on your steering from lines to pumps , reservoirs, etc. Many of times you may have a -8 fitting and line but the fitting is ID -6 restricting flow. I also don't understand why people mix and match steering parts. Go all PSC or Howe. why mix?

If you are looking for a good steering cooler I have a Howe In-Line Cooler. It is 1/2" gun-drilled inside and not restrictive at all. That is the only non-PSC component I have. Like Brad said, pick a company and stick with them for your system. The biggest thing with a cooler is to get one designed for the application. Lots of tranny and oil coolers neck down inside the cooler or make several passes around sharp radiuses. This is not good for steering as it restricts flow and can lead to cavitation. I would go with -8 line/fittings on the cooler.

kid rok said:
I also don't understand why people mix and match steering parts. Go all PSC or Howe. why mix?

I do not understand this either. I went with PSC. I told Lance just to send me everything I needed, so if there is a flaw it will be on his end.