• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The Future of four wheeling.

TreeClimber

So... the other thread caused me to reminisce. And that led to this thought; What is the future of four wheeling?

And I don't need any doomsayer to prophesize that the future is trail closures. What I want to hear is what do you think will be the vehicles out wheeling in the future.

But before we get too far along, let's look at the past.

First we had WW2 army jeeps, and their civilian counterparts the CJ2s and CJ3s. Followed by the CJ5s (and M38s) the old Ford Broncos, the Scouts, the Nissan Patrols, the Toyota FJ40s and whatnots. After the mini-truck explosion, we had Toyota Hilux and Pickups, and they were followed by Suzuki Sami. Then came the game changer of all time; the Jeep YJ. The YJ was massively popular (far more than any earlier 4x) and allowed far more people to enter the trails.

Somewhere around twenty years ago, the first of the tube-chassis buggies started being built. About that same time, the Jeep TJ redefined off-roading, with civilian manners, and extremely easy to modify.

So what's next?

I'll post my opinion later on in this thread.

side by sides and the various forms of them is where I see it heading. Especially once the market starts to bring them to a more affordable heavily used supply.

And if WA ever fixes their ATV laws to make getting those side x sides to the trailhead even easier, then game on.

Regardless of the type of vehicle we use in the future I do my best to make sure we have a place to wheel. And in looking toward the future I take my 8y/o son to many of the work parties with me. Even at his young age he is able to feel pride in ownership and knows what we are working for. I hope he carries on what we have been doing for many years instead of just expecting it to be there like most others.

rig wise I think more family style rigs will be the new theme. It amazes me how many JKs I see when Im out wheeling. The size of those rigs along with the coin to purchase them just doesn't add up for a trail rig with my dirt poor budget :redneck:

I remember seeing photos floating on the interweb of the new bronco coming out. Looked like the size of the new FJs and like they are trying to replicate the old look with new curvy stuff. A lot like manufacturers are doing with the muscle replicas.

Even think about the look of the new Tacoma pickups. They are far from the "mini truck" they used to be. Everything rolling of the lots lately is oversized with cup holders big enough to hold a supersize

l think every rig will always have its place, with everything you mentioned they found their spot, but I see big bodied family wheelers in the future.

Last edited:
Probably something like "4X4 fury" for the WII and play station.

Soon people will be too lazy to build/earn a 4x4 and virtual reality wheeling will out sell the real thing.