• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Think i fawked up my th400?

lojones

Just bolting up the last items and doing wiring to get ready for memorial day and my engine wont turn :( I get under neath and the flywheel is wedged in to the engine so somehow while muscling it all together by myself the torque converter came back out.

I feel like someone just **** on my birthday cake. A year of work and i thought i was about to roll it out of the garage for a test fire. If i woulda noticed it two days ago id be cool, now the heap is full of fluid and all the wiring is done, exhaust, etc gonna be a real bitch to undo everything to pull the tranny :(

So short story long, what are the chances the trannyt survived and i didnt snap the pump off or fubar something else inside?

Taht is a difficult thing to determine over the Internet. Best bet is have someone with lots of experience come take a look at it.

Yeah, was just hoping someone would say theyve done this 5 times and only once it fawked the tranny so i could stop crying under my jeep.

hahah, the one time something like this happened to me, i bolted the TC to the flexplate:looser:, THEN installed the tranny:mad:, i had done 50 manuals, it was my first Auto:masturbanana[1]:. Long story short i ended up with the same deal, pump didn't work neither did the tranny, had to get a new tranny. For your sake i hope you get lucky, but i wouldn't count on it.:corn:

Just fix it ASAP so you can still get out there:awesomework:

Im pretty sure thats what i did, had the engine out though and thought i had turned the tranny to click in twice, obviously not.

Well its all back apart, tranny on the floor, and there is no visible damage. Converter clicks in twice and turns freely. Great but not reassuring, now the only way to know if it works is to put it back together and try it out.

Anyone near Issaquah have a trans jack, im tired of bench pressing the th400 and atlas :redneck:

I did that once with a TH 400, didn't hurt a thing. All I did was loosten the bell housing bolts far enough to separate the engine and trans a little then tighten them back up after aligning the pump....

Wish I had seen this thread yesterday. I have done this three time. I got lucky I guess, all three times, everything was fine. I started using a piece of twine through one of the converter bolt holes to keep it from sliding out while I was muscleing it in. That is before I got a tranny jack. Good luck Fingers crossed.