• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trans coolers

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
Every rig I have owned already had a cooler on it so I have never had to deal with it.

But for those with an auto that tow what did you do about a trans cooler? Did you dump the stock one and run a bigger unit or did you just add one along with the stock one?

My buddy Mike just ran a larger one inside the frame rails behind the tcase. Had to move his because the twins got in the way. I'm going to his house this afternoon and I'll take some pics.

My buddy Mike just ran a larger one inside the frame rails behind the tcase. Had to move his because the twins got in the way. I'm going to his house this afternoon and I'll take some pics.

I assume it was one of those units that has a fan on it also?

just get some 300 psi hose and run it back to the cooler.. there's no routing issues. Mike mounted his on a piece of sheetmetal with a bunch of holes in it. It won't be anymore difficult then doing it any other way.. I'll call Mike real quick.

ok yea he said that you have to cut the hardlines coming off the front of the tranny. He flared his out so that he could slip the new hose over it, then put two clamps on each one (He has a built tranny and is running quite a bit more pressure then you will be). And then he ran the hoses inside the boxed part of the frame rail back to the cooler and had some barbed fittings on the cooler to slip the hose over and then used a clamp on each fitting there. It's half inch ID hose.

I'm sure he has his just laying inside the frame rail. And that's fine for a while, but I'd tie it up somehow when you got the chance so it doesn't have any chance of rubbing anything.