• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Transmission choices - bouncer build

adamp

So I've searched around a bit and haven't really found much. This is my first bouncer build and I need some help choosing a transmission. I bought an escalade with a LQ9 and it also has a good 4l65e. I originally planned on having a powerglide built because it seemed safe but for shits and gigs, just before I sold the transmission, I googled "1000hp 4l65e" and it doesn't seem like that's hard to achieve either. I'm admitting total ignorance as this is my first build with LS based drivetrain. Other than cost, what are the pros and cons of either option or should I be also looking at something totally different? On a related note, I think I've settled on the Hero case over the SCS because I want a little more versatility.

All input is appreciated!

The budget definitely isn't endless. I just don't have a lot of free time to work on stuff so I want to build this thing once. With that in mind, like the Toyota buggy I'm building, it's coming together slower than I originally planned so I can get the best parts I can afford and hopefully not have to **** with it in between rides. It also helps that I parted enough of the Escalade that I got the engine and 4l65e fo free! Actually made more money back so far and still have a good bit left.

Th400 is an option but I kind of ruled it out in the decision between powerglide and th400. I just figure the powerglide robs a little less hp than the turbo 400 and I probably won't make enough hp to make up for that so why bother. That being said, I also feel like the wider ratio requirement in the glide may have a slightly different power robbing problem. When considering the th400 over the powerglide I figured I'd drop the 400 down to a two speed to chuck some unneeded parts and I could also achieve a closer ratio. I just don't really need a third gear so figure use which one robs less HP or is cheaper. They're both pretty cheap to build. I feel like with 1000hp or less these problems are noticeable.

The 4l65e is just being brought up because I have one and the good working core is free. I saw no point in switching to a 4l80e. Cost is higher than th400 and I don't see the advantage. This is where I again admit ignorance and ask for help. I know very little about the newer tranmissions and controls. All I really know is what they cost, cost to build, and how they compare in strength only to the older transmissions.

When you don't have tons of power you need more gears.

Are you building a straight up bouncer race rig? Or do you actually plan on trail riding?

What about transfer case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBItoy said:
When you don't have tons of power you need more gears.

Are you building a straight up bouncer race rig? Or do you actually plan on trail riding?

What about transfer case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm building it to be a race rig. I know I'll want to trail ride it a little bit but I'm building another rig for that. The other buggy is Toyota based though so Im sure I'll have the bouncer on the trails every once in a while. My wife wants her own bouncer to race also so the Toyota buggy is probably going to end up being hers once she realizes she's terrified of hill climbs. Once that happens I'll want to trail ride the bouncer with her riding the Toyota a few times. She's not the bravest but if she loves driving the bouncer I'll just work that out when it happens.

Plan is for Hero transfer case for trail versatility over SCS. Engine build parts aren't totally set in stone yet but shooting for 800-1000hp. Staying naturally aspirated so we'll see what the parts list ends up actually pushing. I don't want to compromise anything competitively though so if trail riding is a dream and a stupid one I can give that up.

Sounds like you would not be needing a 4 speed transmission. I would go with a TH 400. Proven strength and no electronics to fail.

Re:

I'm just guessing here but I bet you could sell that 4l65 and pay for a built 400?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

BUG-E J said:
Just call ed a ptc. That will take the guess work out

Thank you, seems to be well trusted. Will call tomorrow after the holiday. Just kinda half ass working today and it was on my mind. Seems like I'm getting somewhere.

When you get a parts list together please post it up. A stock LS in the 350 cid range, which is close to what the LQ9 is, produces around 1hp per NA ci. To get 800 NA hp your volumetric efficiency will have to be around 90% meaning almost EVERY drop of fuel and air is turned into power. In stock form the LQ9's VE is around 40% At 875hp you will be making slightly less than 2.5 hp per ci. Of course increasing the bore and stroke will lower that number, either way you do it this is going to be one bad SOB and very expensive. RTR