• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

TTB on a rockcrawler/racer?

john%20vaughn%20steering.jpg

This is a pic of an I beam setup. Similar to a ttb but two wheel drive. I just think theres alot going on in a steering setup like this, plus then adding the additional load of bigger tires that are pulling.

Just curious, what speeds are these guys building ttbs looking at hitting? realisticly.

Ok, let me throw this out there. Without getting into specifics and a whole bunch of bla bla bla. What if you had a vw type trans front and rear. you shift both of those by air power rams at the same time or separately for front and rear digs. mid mounted engine that goes directly to a tranfercase. the transfercase feed the front and rear transaxles. I know it's not a new idea , but it is doable and could be a cheap way of getting the travel #'s needed to go fast without all the A arm ttb complicated stuff.

You go staight to the transfercase from the motor. Then from the transfercase you go to a rear transaxle and from the front out put you go to a front trans axle ( that has steering knuckles). You could stil run a clutch type setup at the motor to shift from low to high in the transfercase. Plus you have the trans axles with all their gears.

kid rok said:
You go staight to the transfercase from the motor. Then from the transfercase you go to a rear transaxle and from the front out put you go to a front trans axle ( that has steering knuckles). You could stil run a clutch type setup at the motor to shift from low to high in the transfercase. Plus you have the trans axles with all their gears.

You think the transfercase can handle those type of RPM's?

I got a little chilly watching that. Its in the 70's right now in Houston.

My old rock crawling spotter lives in Maine...F that. You can wheel about four months per year.

and thats why I hate TTB anything, they look freaking broke doing anything.

ok, my thoughts, and please someone tell me if i'm right or wrong.
Rear looks too stiff, front looks too soft, needs a swaybar, or a bigger sway bar on the rear.

Does not look fast at all. But again, that might be a factor of speed. If they speed up a good bit it may all work itself out, like staying ontop of the dips :dunno:

All I have to draw from is watching ****loads of Youtube from the couch. :woot:

He said in his thread the rear was WAY to stiff and they were going to play with the shocks but also had a spare going back there that would help also . Very hard to judge but yes it did not look fast at all

It doesn't look fast, but they again they are driving around in snow so I think it is kinda hard to haul ass. The front end looks broken, I can't stand it

You think the transfercase can handle those type of RPM's?
Ya, if you build it to. Just an idea

TTB = fail. I just don't see it working with such a large tire. Plus I don't think a 150# tire is going to compensate for the front diving so bad. Their weight ratio is way tooo far forward. Thats probably as fast as they could go with all the +- camber change going on. Imagine taking a corner at speed, and the front hits a dip and the camber change yanks the hell out of ya.
I hope they do well.