• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Vertical mounted heims?

Eddyj

I've seen a couple different buggies with them. Usually on he upper axle. I'm doing a rockwells with ruff stuff 1.25 heims. Lowers triangulated, uppers pretty much parallel to frame rails. It would just be easier to package the front axle, upper frame mount vertically. Anyone see any reason not to? I'm almost 100% I can get full articulation without any binding.

A heim is stronger mounted horizontal. When the are vertical, any side load the heim may see attempts to push the ball out of the heim body. When they are horizontal, a force in any direction the heim may see will push against the heim body. The only time horizontal that they would see force trying to push the ball out, would be the lower links impacting rocks and supporting the weight of the vehicle, which is why you don't typically see them horizontal on lowers

fl-krawler said:
A heim is stronger mounted horizontal. When the are vertical, any side load the heim may see attempts to push the ball out of the heim body. When they are horizontal, a force in any direction the heim may see will push against the heim body. The only time horizontal that they would see force trying to push the ball out, would be the lower links impacting rocks and supporting the weight of the vehicle, which is why you don't typically see them horizontal on lowers

I'm pretty sure that the OP is calling a joint mounted with the bolt vertical "vertical mounted heims". Same as I was referring.

Which makes the heim body horizontal (the way you are referring to them)

Same thing, just clarifying.

Latest posts