• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Why is my inner C rubbing???

e4cutler

I pulled the axle shafts out and installed 3 things:
1) outer axle seals
2) replaced spindle bearing with nylon bushing
3) stage 8 locking spindles nuts

Now the inner C's are rubbing and I can' figure out what's causing it. They never rubbed before and I don't see where any of the parts I replaced/added would cause this. Any ideas?

Beerj said:
What are they rubbing?

The inner C is rubbing against the outer C. It's like the axle shaft is pushed too far in but I don't understand how.

al1tonyota said:
What kind of axle?
What's rubbing?
If the knee shaft is rubbing the inner c the shaft bushings are probably causing it!

Dana 60 axle, 35 splice, chromoly shafts. My cousin has the same axle I do and we took those bushings out of his because he got brass ones and didn't need the nylons anymore.

Are you sure the hub is seated all the way on the spindle? Does the axle shaft spin freely inside the spindle?
Bobby Cox

RockJeep said:
Are you sure the hub is seated all the way on the spindle? Does the axle shaft spin freely inside the spindle?
Bobby Cox

I drove it through the neighborhood last night and it didn't make any noise for the first 15 min or so and even then it was sporadic and only at slightly higher speeds. When we got back to the house we looked and could see where it was rubbing. Jacked both sides up and was able to spin the tires by hand just like normal.

If you are talking about the inner axle yoke rubbing the inner c then the axle bearing/bushing is all you did that would push the axle shaft in toward the diff?
When you say outer axle seals are you talking about the rubber seal that goes on the stub shaft and presses against the back of the spindle? Or outer tube seals?

Hey guys thanks for all the input and sorry for the lack of pictures. I should've taken some on Tuesday when it happened so I could post them. The jeep is at my cousins and I didn't go over there yesterday so still no pics to post. Fail on my part. After more research yesterday, I believe the issue is that there is not a snap ring on the end of the stub shaft on the side that is rubbing. I bought the jeep in April and that snap ring wasn't there the first time I took it apart and since everything worked fine, I didn't bother finding one to put on there. Would you agree the missing snap ring is the issue?

Half the reason I bought the jeep was to get more experience wrenching and learn about motors, fab, and wheeling. Newest lesson learned: If one side of the axle has more parts than the other, figure out which is correct and buy the right parts!

Jduck said:
I'm just as confused as well, best I can guess is inner axle c for u joint is hitting the c on the axle?

This is the issue ^^^ The axle shaft is pushed inward towards the diff.

al1tonyota said:
If you are talking about the inner axle yoke rubbing the inner c then the axle bearing/bushing is all you did that would push the axle shaft in toward the diff?
When you say outer axle seals are you talking about the rubber seal that goes on the stub shaft and presses against the back of the spindle? Or outer tube seals?

The axle shaft is pushed further in toward the diff and the outer tube seals are the ones I installed to help keep mud/water from entering the axle tube. If we took the bushings off the exact same axle shaft from another jeep, why would they have this affect on mine?