• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Battery thread

Dirt700

Someone have the link to the thread about batteries. My truck was dead the other morning, because I left the key on. Didn't have time to wait on the charger, so I jumped it of my buggy, and I guess it killed my 2 red top's. So I got to get a new battery, probably just going to run a single now and won't be a red top. Thanks for the help

Waffle said:
I dont have the link but I can say this much....Get the biggest Odyssey extreme series you can fit and never look back.
That's what I have been looking at most, and also die hard platinum, and Exide AGM.

Waffle said:
Last summer I searched this when I needed a new battery. The Odyssey, Die Hard platinum and Exide top models were all the same, made by the same company with nearly identical reserve capacities. (Something like 3 US companies build all batteries for everyone to certain specs and the label of their own choice) The Die Hard plat agm was discontinued. You can still find the exide. Bosch also has a line up using the same internals and core. My buggy has the Odyssey, my car and truck has the Bosch blue. I'm sure there are others.
That's what I found in my research also. They are closing Sears here, so die hard is probably out. But we just got a batteries unlimited I think, they carry Odyssey. And academy sports has exide

Dirt700 said:
Thanks Broady, I tried searching and couldn't find it. Google foo is weak tonight

No problem bud, I just went to general discussion and typed the word "battery" in the search box.. much easier

Dirt700 said:
Someone have the link to the thread about batteries. My truck was dead the other morning, because I left the key on. Didn't have time to wait on the charger, so I jumped it of my buggy, and I guess it killed my 2 red top's. So I got to get a new battery, probably just going to run a single now and won't be a red top. Thanks for the help

Have you tried to bring them back up slowly? I've had a red top since 08 or 09. It's been flat 5 or 6 times and I just bring it up slowly and it is back to good.

Dirt700 said:
You sure the red tops are dead? I'm sure you know, gel cell batteries either require a special charger or charge THROUGH a standard battery for it work. A standard battery charger won't do anything when they are dead. I'd be willing to bet they or at least one comes back.

Waffle said:
I dont have the link but I can say this much....Get the biggest Odyssey extreme series you can fit and never look back.

I've been running the same two of their Marine batteries for 10+ years in my rig with zero problems. They will sometimes sit for months on end (I know I just jinxed myself) and they start the rig right up.
Now all my other vehicles I run Deka batteries only.

smbroady82 said:
No problem bud, I just went to general discussion and typed the word "battery" in the search box.. much easier
I tried that first, and it wouldn't bring it up. Don't know what the deal was, because I have looked it up once before. Thanks again

RebelRider said:
You sure the red tops are dead? I'm sure you know, gel cell batteries either require a special charger or charge THROUGH a standard battery for it work. A standard battery charger won't do anything when they are dead. I'd be willing to bet they or at least one comes back.
yea there dead, I can jump it with my truck and it will start right up. My charger has a slow charge mode, not gel mode. I'm going to try and charge thru a standard battery and see what happens before I buy one just yet

Dirt700 said:
yea there dead, I can jump it with my truck and it will start right up. My charger has a slow charge mode, not gel mode. I'm going to try and charge thru a standard battery and see what happens before I buy one just yet
When I said "dead", I meant no good. Charging mine through a standard battery worked in mine, when My charger wouldn't. Good luck

Ive had good luck out of the yellow tops.....red tops suck - like you said, kill em once and theyre done.

RebelRider said:
When I said "dead", I meant no good. Charging mine through a standard battery worked in mine, when My charger wouldn't. Good luck
Gotcha, I haven't tested them to see for sure if they are "dead". Been busy trying to sell my house so haven't had much time to really mess with it. Hopefully Sunday I will have time to really look into the problem. Thanks for the help

This is the best bang for the buck right now. We have had good luck running a high amp stereo and winch. They are at Sams club.

standard.jpg

Dan Dibble said:
This is the best bang for the buck right now. We have had good luck running a high amp stereo and winch. They are at Sams club.

standard.jpg

I'm running a few of these at the moment and as of now, I'll replace the next bad battery with a Duracell platinum agm. Maybe one day soon lithium ion will be cheaper.

So in my research before I bought a yellow top last night, I found that the issue with optima and other lower end AGMs is they use recycled lead components.

I hear from 2 suppliers they use almost 80% recycled lead and internals in red tops.

So it makes me wonder how Duracell could possibly be using high quality internals and bring a $130 price tag.

When X2 boasts a 99.9% virgin lead content at $300 and made in the USA

I can't defend any of these companies as if I work for them. Just food for thought.

I could have bought a $120 AGM Duracell last night. Something in my gut said it was a red top in a different package

To recharge an optima, I've always taken a good battery and hooked jumper cables to the optima from it, then a battery charger to the good battery.

ibrokeit said:
To recharge an optima, I've always taken a good battery and hooked jumper cables to the optima from it, then a battery charger to the good battery.
That's what I have cooking now, gonna see what happens. It has duel batteries, but not sure if they are hooked up correctly. The main one has positive and negative cables. The second one just has a cable from positive post, to the positive post of main battery. And nothing on the negative of the second battery. Never ran duel batteries on anything, other than my diesel pickups. Been trying to research a little, seems like it should have an isolated?