• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1,000 HP Elephant Trans

A Ford

All this 1,000 HP talk plays right into my current dilemma and this will probably cause some good discussion so here goes. Im ordering my case Tomorrow and need to decide which way to go.

No BS 1,000 to 1,200HP turbo LS. Transfer case and axle strength are a non issue and I dont need a transbrake.

5,500 lbs that will be short course mud raced and will more than likely get wheeled or hucked up a hill on occasion. I like the glide for reliability but the 1st gear of a Turbo 400 would be nice in the woods.

Glide or Turbo 400?

How many of you have killed the sprague in a 400?

You can get up to a 2.18 low gear in a glide
da785568a044b1cf9660f42b4a9f9111.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I've never driven anything with that much power but when I dream I feel like a glide is the way to go. You can change the ratio if needed and if it hits the limiter in first it probably wont in second. If you plan on doing alot of trail riding the 3 gears in the 400 would be really nice though.

Tried to post a pic but when Photobucket died apparently my forum picture posting skills died with it.

You can definitely build a th400 to handle that kind of power and even a lot more. There's plenty of beefy upgrades you could throw in it to make sure it stays reliable. 7x7 clutch packs, 36 element sprag (3 times larger than 34), billet planetary assembly, billet shafts, drum and hub, 4l80 bands etc etc

I've got a 5,100 pound bouncer on rocks, profab, 43's, nice 6.0 ls procharged pretty healthy and it has ate several powerglides from a very good and well known company. Just my experience. I'm not a racer so usually going hill to hill beating on it. Hard. With that being said I wish I would have gone TH 400 I tried something different on this buggy but have always had 400's in the past with little issues. And after having kickass power for several years im over it and want something a little less obnoxious lol.

On a side note halfway through last season I switched to tractor fluid and beat on it more or less trying to break the damn thing several trips and it stayed together just my .02

Broken Sprague here. FTI built TH 400, Greg said what we do is tough on a transmission. He was talking about hard hits on rocks bringing a sudden stop to the drivetrain is rough on the Sprague/ transmission. I run 49's so I am sure that only multiplies the problem. My 400 now has the "severe" duty Sprague in it. RTR

mna0121 said:
Broken Sprague here. FTI built TH 400, Greg said what we do is tough on a transmission. He was talking about hard hits on rocks bringing a sudden stop to the drivetrain is rough on the Sprague/ transmission. I run 49's so I am sure that only multiplies the problem. My 400 now has the "severe" duty Sprague in it. RTR

That's exactly what Im worried about when landing on the throttle from jumps in 2nd gear. I'm going with FTI's new 10" Sniper case, they make some really nice stuff. Being billet instead of cast and having a O ring on the quick change cover was enough to convince me that case is the right choice. My case is clocked just like a stock NP205 is, not like a typical Mega is. Its rear engine but has a carrier bearing right next to the bellhousing for the rear shaft. Just had to decide between either a mated case on a Turbo 400 or a divorced with a 3 piece couplet behind a shorty glide.

ridered3 said:
Why you swapping from diesel to LS?
Because Ford never built anything worth having.
You priced diesel fuel?
Because an ls will make wwwwaaaayyyyy more power and be wwwaaayyy more dependable than a powerjoke.
Couldn't afford the drivetrain to hold up to a duramax.
Tired of plugging in the block heater to start it.
Tired of his buddies saying damn we are tired of waiting on you.
Because nothing sounds better than a chevy with open headers.

He realized a Cummings was an upgrade and started questioning his choices he has made throughout his entire life

BUG-E J said:
Because Ford never built anything worth having.
You priced diesel fuel?
Because an ls will make wwwwaaaayyyyy more power and be wwwaaayyy more dependable than a powerjoke.
Couldn't afford the drivetrain to hold up to a duramax.
Tired of plugging in the block heater to start it.
Tired of his buddies saying damn we are tired of waiting on you.
Because nothing sounds better than a chevy with open headers.
BUG-E J said:
He used up all the starter fluid at all his local parts stores
BUG-E J said:
He realized a Cummings was an upgrade and started questioning his choices he has made throughout his entire life

Man someone had a slow day at work.. Alot of good reasons though

ROFL.

Sick of throwing money into the wrong tool for the job.

600 lbs diet.

RPM's are your friend when jumping.

The competition is all blown methanol and I'm too poor for all that 1960's technology.

I'm already very familiar with turbo e85 engines, blow through carbs, and how to tune them.

In the end it mainly boiled down to being different is OK for awhile, but its hard to remain motivated when you know you will be in last place at every race you attend and its not due to lack of driving skill or lack of a competitive chassis.

A Ford said:
ROFL.

Sick of throwing money into the wrong tool for the job.

600 lbs diet.

RPM's are your friend when jumping.

The competition is all blown methanol and I'm too poor for all that 1960's technology.

I'm already very familiar with turbo e85 engines, blow through carbs, and how to tune them.

In the end it mainly boiled down to being different is OK for awhile, but its hard to remain motivated when you know you will be in last place at every race you attend and its not due to lack of driving skill or lack of a competitive chassis.

Thanks for the detailed response/reasoning. Was just curious since i knew you had one of the few diesel powered rigs out there.

Latest posts