• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

100LL AV gas or race fuel in N. AL area?

3%Patriot

Does anybody run 100LL AV gas in their rigs? I'm in search of an airport that will sell to the public in the North Alabama area. I got in touch with the Lawrenceburg-Lawrence County airport in TN and they won't sell to me. And I'm assuming the bigger ones around won't even consider it.

If anyone knows where I can find 110 race gas I'm open to that too. Just prefer 100LL due to price. Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious as to why they won't sell it to you. I run it in my cushman motor scooters. If you run anything else in them it will foul the plug and beat the valve seats out of the block. We buy from two small airports in central Al.

It's been years since I have used airplane gas, but never had no problem at my local airport, I know they would only pump it into jugs for you because it wasn't taxed to be on the road, might tell them you have a small ultralight plane at home or something? But if you are needing real race has, I'm sure Huntsville engines has in stock.

zukimaster said:
It's been years since I have used airplane gas, but never had no problem at my local airport, I know they would only pump it into jugs for you because it wasn't taxed to be on the road, might tell them you have a small ultralight plane at home or something? But if you are needing real race has, I'm sure Huntsville engines has in stock.

I may need to get ahold of some smaller airfields then. Huntsville speedway has 110 but I'm trying to avoid spending $8/gal

NP said:
Curious as to why they won't sell it to you. I run it in my cushman motor scooters. If you run anything else in them it will foul the plug and beat the valve seats out of the block. We buy from two small airports in central Al.

What airports do you use? I'll be in B'ham in a few days.

I don't know how much they are charging for it right now, but the pure station in new market Al sells 110 gas.

Wetumpka municipal airport. It's on hwy14 inbetween millbrook and wetumpka.
Last time I bought there you just swipe your card at the pump make up a tail number or look for one that's around put ground strap on cans and get what you need.
The other airport is grouby field leaving prattville going toward Selma on hwy14.
There has got to be somewhere closer for you I would think.
Let us know
Hope it helps

I would try the Shelby county airport it's about 20 min south of Birmingham right off of I-65

^^^ yup. There's also a station on the south side of the bridge in south Huntsville (I think its a Pure Station also) that sells 110. I think they sod/sell it there due to the proximity to the Speedway

The reason is that it does not have a road tax, I ran into this on my last buggy. The suppliers make the airfields sign contracts that state they will not sell to vehicles.This use to be something that was over looked but the gov ended up cracking down on them from what I was told.BUT if you have a serial number off of a plane they said they could sell it.

BigBoy70 said:
^^^ yup. There's also a station on the south side of the bridge in south Huntsville (I think its a Pure Station also) that sells 110. I think they sod/sell it there due to the proximity to the Speedway

It's a pure station , I ran it for years

Just get on Airnav.com and find your local small airport that sells fuel. When you get there, take the 4 digit Unicom frequency from Airnav and type it into the keypad at the gate, usually preceded with a pound sign. Drive to fuel pumps, pump fuel, don't hit any airplanes. They may tell you on the phone that they can't sell to you, but I've never had anyone stop me.

DirtRoads said:
Just get on Airnav.com and find your local small airport that sells fuel. When you get there, take the 4 digit Unicom frequency from Airnav and type it into the keypad at the gate, usually preceded with a pound sign. Drive to fuel pumps, pump fuel, don't hit any airplanes. They may tell you on the phone that they can't sell to you, but I've never had anyone stop me.

Excellent info! Thanks brother!