• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

14 bolt gears

ktaylor

I'm running chevy 1 ton axles from a military truck an thecarrier is a 456 carrier , I can't find any gears lower then 513, is there any way to fit gears for a 410 carrier on a 456 carrier?

Don't think so. 4.10 gears lower than 4.10 are cut thick, so they won't work on a 4.56 carrier with that offset.

Most cost effective is probably to sell your 4.56+ carrier and get a 4.10-

I'm looking to get 538 gears an I have a detroit locker in the rear an wasn't wantin to have to switch the locker out

If you have a detroit with 4.56 gears there shouldn't be anything you have to do to get 5.38 gears to fit it. Unless I am missing something??? If 4.56 gears are in good shape I might be interested in those ;D

That carrier should hold anything 4.56 and numerically higher gears.
4.10 carrier will take 4.10 and numerically lower gears.
As stated above.

I just thought since they come with 456 gears from a military truck that they wouldn't fit unless they were 410 an down carrier,how would I check if its a 456 or 410 carrier

You are correct. Your Detroit works like a lunchbox locker and replaces the spider gears, so no problems swapping that between carriers. However, the military CUCV 14 bolts had 4.56 gears and 4.56 carrier that will only accept "thin" gears. Randy's lists 5.13s as being the deepest gears available in thin cut, but they're just as pricey as 5.38 "thick" gears and a 4.10 carrier. A 4.10 carrier takes thick gears in the deeper gear sets to get the correct gear mesh with the offset of the pinion and ring gear mounting location on the carrier.

Long story short - Detroits swap between carriers, thin gears for 4.56+ carrier in the deeper gears, and thick gears for the 4.10- carrier in the deeper gears.

Hope that came out clearly laughing1

Basically I'm going to have to sell my locker an gears front an rear to swap to 538s right

No... Detroit will work with either carrier... :afro:

You need to buy a 4.10-carrier for your rear axle to get 5.38s.

Right, keep the locker. Sell the carrier and gears with the ring still on it as they go together. Get a 4.10 carrier, drop your locker in it, bolt the 5.38 ring to it, install.

On the front, start looking for factory (non thick) gears for a thin (high numerically) carrier.

Not to hyjack but while yall are on the thin/thick gear subjet is there really any difference in strength like say a 4.56thin vs 4.56 thick? Most breaks are the gears themselves and not a cracked ring right?

ryannuttz said:
Not to hyjack but while yall are on the thin/thick gear subjet is there really any difference in strength like say a 4.56thin vs 4.56 thick? Most breaks are the gears themselves and not a cracked ring right?
Correct. I don't think I've ever seen a complete ring gear cracked or let go. Teeth are much weaker than the solid metal behind them.