• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1480 vs 1550 ujoint strength

RustyC

Which would be a stronger ujoint? Ignoring shaft strength and leaving RCV out.
Obviously a spicer 1480 would be the lowest, not considering off brand store joints. Internet rating of 2000 lbs-ft max cont. rating. Yield at 3300 lb-ft.
That brings up the comparison between a spicer 1550 joint and a CTM, Yukon Superjoint etc. Which one would be stronger. Thoughts?
I would think the chromo/bushing 1480 joint would be stronger vs 1550/needles.

Looking for max rating on a 1550?

I think CTM makes 1550 U-Joints, I would say that.

Better question would be OEM rockwell joints or CTM 1550 ?

Has anyone broke or witness a broken Superjoint or CTM?

I am considering some upgrades to my front 609. It was built using 99-04 outers has chromo stubs. Stock inners and spicer joints. Joints break and take out inners. Inners are customer length. I am at the point of chromo joints and inners. OR 05 up outers and 1550 stock shafts. I feel the chromo inners and joints added to my chromo stubs may be the most cost effective. Still leaves me with small unit bearings though. :(

I would keep your axle and go superjoints and chromo inners. Simple. You can make it happen in one evening and it's gonna be cheaper.

Why not interested in RCV?

I havent been able to find much info on 1550's myself. I have an 05+ 60 that i just put RCV's in, 4340 1480 bell. I broke 3 stock spicer U joints in my axle before i finally bit the bullet and went RCV... The only options i was aware of were Branik and RCV. Branik was cheaper but their 05+ axles are still considered custom axles and have no warranty which led me to RCV. I didn't have a problem running Branik and either super joints or CTM's but i just wasnt down with the lack of warranty, which im sure would be your case with either manufacturer.

If i were you, I'd buy some 05+ C's and knuckles and buy branik shafts and CTM's. I just couldnt see staying with the 99-04 stuff as cheap as the 05+ is now.

Leaving out RCV in an effort to just get info on the joints. RCV makes a great product for sure, we have seen the results out on the trails.
The big issue for me is custom inners. If I went to 05 outers. Then I would have to decide between 1480 and 1550 shafts. I could order 2 long side 1550 shaft assemblys and have the inners cut and resplined.
It really makes sense for me to upgrade to chromo joints and inners. Even if one day I went with 05 outers the 1480 stuff is usable in that application as well.

My $0.02
Just keep in mind the #1 reason I have seen good baljoints fail on a newer axle is a U joint letting go and the upper baljoint is taken out from the destroyed yokes. Then you have damaged both shafts and who knows what else when the knuckle and tire go free. Just depends on how hard you want to play. Be careful and go with the chromo inners and be money ahead. Go 05 from Cs out with CTM 1550 joints and you can beat it knowing the shaft will snap and not cause much collateral damage. Have a stronger knuckle and ready to upgrade shafts later if you want to play harder.

I'm working with Branik on the 1550 stuff and it will be available soon

1550 spread makes the loads ~30% less on the joint and ears of shafts
no change to shaft strength except at yokes

change material from spicer to 300M and there is a huge jump in strength, how much isn't really known as no one that I've found knows the material of a spicer and it's material allowables. but it can be big

One reason for going 1550 is to be able to run a spicer with needle bearings - for me at least

Not many 1480 aftermarket 300M joints break but what does occur is the ears stretch

Outside of strength, what is interresting in the 1550 joints is the turning radius. I think you can get 50deg without clearancing the shafts, right ?

Bebop said:
I think you can get 50deg without clearancing the shafts, right ?

I think that is correct or very close to 50 deg. Found some info last night on that, it may have been driveshaft related. I will see if I can find it again.

From Weaver Fab.
99-04 32 deg steering 05-up 1480 joints 36 deg 05 -up 1550 45 deg. 450/550 knuckles.
Not sure what the 1550's in an 05 -250 knuckle. I figure 36 deg min up to 45 deg without clearancing the shafts. If would depend on the knuckle/brake/inner c cleared.

05+ stock knuckles are capable of 50+ without clearancing

not sure on stock 1550 shafts and yokes but I'd image close to 50 without grinding

Branik's yokes will have more material around the ears but still capable of 50 degrees

You still have to clearance yokes to get 50* with 1550. The knuckles clear though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk