• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2015.5 GMC 2500 Duramax Not Being User Friendly

00BIRMINGHAMTJ

Ok So Y'all Say I Never Post Other Than On The For Sale Threads Well Here I Am Posting Needing Some Mechanic Help. Lots Of You Own Here Drive Or Have Had Or Work On Diesels So hoping Someone Can Help Me Since Google Isn't. I Have A 2015.5 Duramax 120K Miles That's Been Deleted. Has The EZ-LINK System With The PPEI Software. Well Today Driving It For First 30 Minutes All was Fine Then Came Up To A Red Light Went To Take Off & It Was Like It Had No Power Then I Let Off Gassed & It Had Power Again Well 10 Min Went By Nothing Else So I Was Like Maybe A Piece Of Trash In Fuel Exc. Another 10 Mins Goes By It Does It Again Now Its Got Me Questioning So At This Point Im Pulling Into Fast Food Drive Through So That Takes Like 10-15 Min Before I Get Back Out On To The Road Well I Get The Great Idea To Punch It To Clear It Out Shoots Off Like A Rocket And Then Had To Immediately Stop At A Red Light, Go To Gas It from That One & It Just Falls On Its Face Starts Pouring Black Smoke Out Which Its Never Done Cause I Had All That Mess Toned Down When it Was Deleted & Programed So that Threw A Red Flag Something Wasn't Right Well Finally A Check Engine Light Popped Up So with This EZ-LINK System it Has A Built In Diagnosis System The Code That Came Up Was P06A3 So I Look It Up & Dont Give Me Much Info For A Duramax On this Code Other Than "Sensor Refrence Voltage D Circuit Open" Well At This Point The Truck Has Like 1/4 Power So I Wing It Back To the House Every Time You touch The Gas It's Pouring Black Smoke Out So Get Here & Let It Sit For Approx 30-40 Min Go back Out Pop The Hood Wiggle The Mass Air Flow Conection, The Turbo Vein Sensor Both Charge Pipes Or The Pipes Going to Inter Cooler Back Which To Me Seem To Have A Lot Of Floppy Play In Them So I The Crank the Truck Rev It Up I Can Here Turbo Also Seems To Be Spooling Up More So I Get In Btw Same Check Engine Cose Is On so I Clear It & Go For A Drive Well Immediately I Can Tell it Has Power Back But Not All, I'll Say 75-80% But Still Blowing Black Smoke Which It Didnt Do Before So I Come Back To The House Shut Off & Restart And Check Engine Light Comes Back On For Same Code. So At This Point I'm Lost Any Input Will Be Greatly Appreciated.

Do you have a boost gauge on it Roy? Sounds like you're losing boost somewhere, that will cause it to roll coal.

Yes It Is In My EZ-Link System I Didn't Even Look At That AS I Don't Even Know How Much Boost I Was Getting Before, But That Also Is A Possibility Due To It Was Working Better After I Wiggled The Hoses.

Definitely sounds like a boost leak. How much boost a diesel is making when running right is a very important fact to know. So when something like this happens you know if you're down on boost. But it sounds like you're losing enough to be able to tell if it's down on boost without knowing what it normally makes.

Did they put blocker plates or EGR delete? If the EGR is still there with no blocker plates I have seen them do just what yours is doing. They will blow the EGR open or hang and you will be down on boost. Check EGR position in your ezlink when it acts up.

For that year model a p06a3 if refrence voltage section 4 of the 5 volt signal. The only 2 things it feeds is the egr position sensor and egr cooler sensor. If you bypassed the egr you either have a leak or will have to turn it off with a tuner.

Sting said:
Did they put blocker plates or EGR delete? If the EGR is still there with no blocker plates I have seen them do just what yours is doing. They will blow the EGR open or hang and you will be down on boost. Check EGR position in your ezlink when it acts up.

They Did Not Remove Or Put A Block Off Plate. This Was Something I Was Going To Do Soon May Be Today If This Will Fix The Issue. The Truck Was Deleted & Tuned A Week Before I Purchased It, So Now Im Going Behind The Person Tightening Up The Loose Ends. Im Not 100% Sure Who That EZ-LINK System Work To Tell What The EGR Is Reading

BUG-E J said:
For that year model a p06a3 if refrence voltage section 4 of the 5 volt signal. The only 2 things it feeds is the egr position sensor and egr cooler sensor. If you bypassed the egr you either have a leak or will have to turn it off with a tuner.

I Just Spoke To The Previous Owner He Said He Thinks All The Connectors Are Still Plugged Up To EGR Exc Im Wondering If It Would Be A Good Idea To Unplug

I'm not a big diesel guy but my 05 duramax has a block off plate and my tuner actually makes the pcm not monitor egr. Reading straight off of Mitchell it says for that code you can unplug the sensor causing the problem and clear the code. Drive it and if the p06a3 does not come back that's the bad sensor.

BUG-E J said:
I'm not a big diesel guy but my 05 duramax has a block off plate and my tuner actually makes the pcm not monitor egr. Reading straight off of Mitchell it says for that code you can unplug the sensor causing the problem and clear the code. Drive it and if the p06a3 does not come back that's the bad sensor.
[/quote So I Called PPEI Talked To Them They Told Me To Go Our & Make Sure These 3 Particular Plugs Were Unplugged So I Did Well They Were All Plugged Up So I Unplugged Thrm Check Engine PO Code Went Away, So Weny For A Test Drive Still Lacking Power & Blowing Black Smoke Won't Even Power Brake But Once You Roll Into It For A Minute It Shoots Off Running 25-27 lbs Of Boost At A Kick from 55-90. I Have No Clue Guess Im gonna Try A New Fuel Filter. My Last Thought Is Could The EGR Be Cracked Or Stuck Open I Just Have No Clue How To Tell.

So I Went This Eve & Installed A New Fuel Filter That Didn't Seem Help So We Checked All The Piping & Boots All Seemed Good. What Ive Come Up With At This Point Attempting To Power Brake It To Build Boost ITs Like It Starts To Then It Falls Off But If You Are Rolling In It At Speed It Seems To Build Up Boost 25-27lbs So Its Really Got Me Confused Plus The Whole It Blowing Black Smoke As It Didn't Do This Before, Its Almost Like The Turbo Is Lagging Which Has Me Wondering If The Tuning Is Messed Up. I Hooked Up To My Snap On Scanner & Everything Appears To Be Working. Now Sitting in Park & You Punch It Its Only Getting Up To About 3-4 Lbs Of Boost

Latest posts