• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

205 and 456s

xjpaddler

trying to get the drivetrain laid out for my next rig. wanting to build more of a bouncer than my current rig, so my??? is this.

is a stock ford 205 enough gearing with 456s in the axle?? rig will be on 43s around 500hp and probably a 700r4 or 4l60e

Well first off you need to invest in a different trans! If all you are doing is bouncing the gearing will be enough if you plan on crawling mine is 3.0 tcase and 4.88 axle and it is borderline when crawling can tell its kinda hard on the trans which is a t400 hope this helps?

This buggy has the same gearing (with th400)

http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=19554.0

which works out to ~22:1 gearing. You'd be at 27:1 with the 700r/4l60's 3:1 first gear.

50:1 - 40:1 will treat you a lot better crawling...

If you want a more dual purpose rig, you might look at doing a doubler for more gearing options.

Oh, and I'd think that it would take a high $ 700r4 or 4l60 to hold up to 500hp and that high of gearing.

Also, something else to consider in the 700r/4l60 trans, 1st gear-2nd gear spread is pretty big. 3:1-1.6:1 (vs the TH400 at 2.5:1-1.5:1)
-makes for a huge jump in wheel speed between the 1-2 shift (may not be a big deal with 500hp)

Is the 1-2 step an issue on your current rig? IIRC you've broke several D300s, do you usually run the dual cases both in Low or?

I run the same setup with a 400 turbo and it works well kinda wish i had 5:38s but it crawls decent, Like mentioned before i would not run the 700R4 if i didnt have to it wont hold up to that much HP.

planing to be more of a bouncer than crawling.

And yes the 1-2 jump in my rig sucks, with the current motor, it falls on its face.

what about a glide??? I think I can run across one of those down here.

Yes I have broke a few 300s, the first was my own fault, the second was the weaker short shaft. the last one I had the doubler pulled in trying to make up for the the lack of power.

Mr bacon, do you have a pic of your 14 front?? seams like it was centered more than most, was this because it went in place of the rockwell front?? also do you think 5.38s would live?? I know anything will break but im trying to stay as strong as I can on MY budget!!

Sense I would have to justabout have to give my rig away before it would sale, I hope to keep it. It does great for general trail rideing and crawling.

A glide and a 205 will sux too. 350 or 400 be ur best bet. I run roughly 400hp give or take a few np205,4.56 and 350th. With 40" LTB"s not to bad. Ur converter will play a big roll in how it acts off idle..

xjpaddler said:

And yes the 1-2 jump in my rig sucks, with the current motor, it falls on its face.

Yes I have broke a few 300s, the first was my own fault, the second was the weaker short shaft. the last one I had the doubler pulled in trying to make up for the the lack of power.

Mr bacon, do you have a pic of your 14 front?? seams like it was centered more than most, was this because it went in place of the rockwell front?? also do you think 5.38s would live?? I know anything will break but im trying to stay as strong as I can on MY budget!!

Sense I would have to justabout have to give my rig away before it would sale, I hope to keep it. It does great for general trail rideing and crawling.

If you make a driver drop steering 14 bolt without adding any tube, the diff pinion ends up ~7" offset from the center.

The 14 bolt front I bought from Lickliter21 on here is build like this, and the diff "almost" looks centered,

If you want to change to a Chevy 205, lomax is fixing to do another run on 3:1 kits then you could run a glide and have it bullet proof.i think i figured it at 36:1 before

Hell I'm retarded today that 36 was with my rocks you would still be 24 with your gears better just throw a 400 in it and be done

xjpaddler said:

Yes i centered my 14 bolt more than normal to give room for link mounts, shock mounts etc. so i didnt have to stack them up on one another, my brother runs 5.38s in his and has as much torque and hp as anyone else out there :****: and has never had a problem with his, its all in the setup how they last

Tim,

What kind of shafts are you, bubba, and your dad running? Have pretty good luck with them?

Ya'll all run big blocks and 44s and do the type of riding that I'm planning to do with my new build (some crawling, some hill climbing, but less hauling ass at rock ledges and jumping your **** 10' in the air)

with the axle set up Im working on, It will have to be driver drop.

I am planning 14b rock hybrids useing all stock axle shafts, if I tried to do pass drop it will put the drive shaft into the oil pan.

the low max kit would be nice if I could get it in a ford 205, but I dont think they offer that. seams I may be looking for a th400, or going a different route with the case.

xjpaddler said:
with the axle set up Im working on, It will have to be driver drop.

I am planning 14b rock hybrids useing all stock axle shafts, if I tried to do pass drop it will put the drive shaft into the oil pan.

the low max kit would be nice if I could get it in a ford 205, but I dont think they offer that. seams I may be looking for a th400, or going a different route with the case.

You could always run the lowmax chevy 205 upside down.

I've seen people run Ford 205s upside down.

I'm running this same set up 205/4.56s/400 turbo around 375hp with a stock torque converter and my motor seems to fall on its face off idle til it hits the 3000 rpm range and above. Got the transmission out rite now for a rebuild and I'm thinking a 2600 to 2800 stall mite help it out some on the launch what do yall think?

I have a 500hp 358 th400 and 205 with 4:10, though it needs a litte more gear , I had a 2000 stall in it and it sucked, went to a 4000 stall and it made it 100% better and more useable

I put a b&m holeshot 2400 in mine and I love it, would highly recommend it. If you go to big on a convertor and try to ride a lot your going to see a lot of trans temp.

So im building a new 321 buggy and Im running little over 300 hp . thought to go th350 with 3000 stall, np205 & 5:38 with 42 sx's, sounds as if my 4:56's might work :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
HAVE A GOOD ONE GUYS C-YA ON THE TRAILS :dblthumb: :dblthumb:

where is your cam makeing power at say if its makeing power between 2500 to 5000 rpm range i wouldnt think you want a stall at 3500 or 4000 it would put you to far into your rpm range just my thoughts thou. could be wrong

Mr. leafspring said:
So im building a new 321 buggy and Im running little over 300 hp . thought to go th350 with 3000 stall, np205 & 5:38 with 42 sx's, sounds as if my 4:56's might work :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
HAVE A GOOD ONE GUYS C-YA ON THE TRAILS :dblthumb: :dblthumb:
Just my opinion but I think 5.38s would be a pretty good match for my set up and I'm running 42s with close to the same set up. If I'm just crawling my tranny temps go up with my gearing now (4.56) but try it out see how you like it. thumb.gif