• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2nd Gen Dodge 2500 Lift Options

the_white_shadow

Once i get back from offshore I will have a buddies 01 Ram 2500 Quadcab Shortbed to build into a "streetable" ride on 39" boggers. He will mainly use it on muddy trails and at the beach. No crawling. I want it to maintain a better ride than just stacked coil springs spacers and shocks extensions.

Not much out there for 2nd gens anymore other than the typical Superlift/tuffcountry/etc. I stumbled across a complete kit from DOR (Dodge Offroad) that peaked my interest. Its a 7" long arm kit up front with new coils, track bar, steering linkage, etc and a shackle flip out back. The kit also comes with all 4 fox shocks for the corners.

Anyone have any experience with them? I want whatever lift i choose to be safe on the road for him and his young one and not have to worry about death wobble or a shitty ride. So when i saw this kit came with steering upgrades, i was excited. Seems like a very well thought out kit at $3k.

http://store.dodgeoffroad.com/

Specs on the truck:
01 Dodge 2500, 5.9l, 6-spd, shortbed, all stock right now
Has new 38.5"x14R16 boggers ready to go

Thoughts? trying to avoid big gay truck land if i at all possible. If the tires rub the fenders, i dont have an issue with cutting stuff out. Once i get back and get started, ill post up whatever i come up with.

I checked synergy. They have steering upgrades and some coil springs but no longer list a long arm kit for a 2nd gen. Only 03+.

Carli is similar.

If I find something that only clears 37s, I have no problem cutting **** up.

the_white_shadow said:
......Thoughts? trying to avoid big gay truck land if i at all possible. If the tires rub the fenders, i dont have an issue with cutting stuff out......

Easy.... NO lift... Cut fenders, fab flares... Tub bed... Done deal... Stock ride, stock steering, use bump stops to limit uptravel articulation and this rubbing...

Spend the lift money on gears and lockers.... It'll work perfect for the stated use....

the_white_shadow said:
Lets be somewhat realistic. All that and it would still ride like **** which is one of the requirements.
I thought I WAS being realistic.... So he needs it to ride BETTER than stock then? Btw I didn't mean STOP up travel... Just limit it when he gets too twisty...

We all know these trucks ride like a shitty tank from the factory. add larger tires with a spacer lift and blocks and it gets even worse. Anything i can do to improve the ride quality would be great. Im not expecting cadillac quality here.

the_white_shadow said:
We all know these trucks ride like a shitty tank from the factory. add larger tires with a spacer lift and blocks and it gets even worse. Anything i can do to improve the ride quality would be great. Im not expecting cadillac quality here.

Actually I didn't know... Never had or wanted one... Well except as an engine (cummins) donor for my square GMC

Sorry, didn't mean to muck up ur thread... Really thought it was a viable option.

Good luck with ur research

I wouldn't recommend DOR. It took around six months for me to get all of the parts in for my long arm kit. Some times they would respond some times they wouldn't. Im now trying to install the long arms and they are way to long for my application and im not even going to try to send them back. If someone else offers what you need I would go elsewhere.

mike2.5 said:
I wouldn't recommend DOR. It took around six months for me to get all of the parts in for my long arm kit. Some times they would respond some times they wouldn't. Im now trying to install the long arms and they are way to long for my application and im not even going to try to send them back. If someone else offers what you need I would go elsewhere.

This is good info. What kit did you go with? They seem to have some nice stuff and also seem to be one of the only ones making long arms for 2nd gens still. I cant find anything on BDS, Synergy, etc. I may have to piece stuff together and see what i can come up with.

the_white_shadow said:
This is good info. What kit did you go with? They seem to have some nice stuff and also seem to be one of the only ones making long arms for 2nd gens still. I cant find anything on BDS, Synergy, etc. I may have to piece stuff together and see what i can come up with.
I went with the 2nd gen long arm kit for a 3-5 inch lift. My plans were with this kit to push the front axle forward about 1.75 inches and run a 37 inch tire with 3 inch coils. There was a guy on pirate that ran the same setup and fitted 42s on his.

Im pretty sure that guy on the 42s is the owner of DOR. I pm'd him a few days ago with questions and concerns but didnt receive an answer (he has logged in since then).

the_white_shadow said:
Im pretty sure that guy on the 42s is the owner of DOR. I pm'd him a few days ago with questions and concerns but didnt receive an answer (he has logged in since then).
The truck im referring to is in the expedition forum under Multi-purpose Dodge Diesel Build. Sorry don't know how to post a link!

Dave from brave motorsports has a custom long arm kit on his 98 dodge.

7542908.jpg

http://www.bravemotorsports.com

May be worth touching base with him to see if he would offer parts or a kit.

mike2.5 said:
The truck im referring to is in the expedition forum under Multi-purpose Dodge Diesel Build. Sorry don't know how to post a link!

Link to that build ^ http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/expedition-vehicles/1512922-multi-purpose-dodge-diesel-build.html.

the_white_shadow said:

The builder of the Multi Purpose Dodge (linked above) is not the owner of DOR. DOR was located 3ish hours away from him though.

Shackle flip if it hasn't already been mentioned for the rear and a universal radius arm kit did the trick on mine. Fox 2.0s and stock springs front/rear with 2 inch spacer upfront. Could easily clear 38's with minimal trimming

4368577062155b298f5533418939bdbf.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D-LUX said:
Shackle flip if it hasn't already been mentioned for the rear and a universal radius arm kit did the trick on mine. Fox 2.0s and stock springs front/rear with 2 inch spacer upfront. Could easily clear 38's with minimal trimming

Thanks for the info. After doing some research while offshore, i think a simple radius arm kit will do the trick and some longer springs and shocks. Ruffstuff has all the brackets i need. I do have a set of 14" coilovers that could throw on there, but ill probably just do new springs. Ill upgrade the track bar to clear everything and call it a day. Did you get rid of your swaybar? Ive read that most ditch it anyways. Ill shackle flip the rear like you mentioned. Diy4x has a kit.

Can you post up a few pics of your setup?

As for DOR, i cant get anyone to get back with me on several questions i have. Plus i found a long thread on them that brings them to light. So needless to say i dont feel like getting hosed. Sucks for them.

2549aab482df80942085f8e6118367a6.jpg

Only pic on my phone at the moment but if you need something specific let me know. I did use the ruffstuff kit for the joints/tubing/frame brackets & just attached them to the factory 4 link axle brackets.

I did ditch both front a rear sway bars but the truck has a airlift helper bag in the back so I'm sure it helps with sway even when under inflated.

The truck does still ride kind of rough but I'm sure a softer front coil and some real leaf springs would do wonders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That will work. Thanks for posting the pic. I think with some nice springs (thuren/carli/etc) i can make the ride more manageable. Did you make any track bar mods?

Latest posts