• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

3.5 Ecoboost

money_pit_yj

My wife is looking at a 2015 Expedition with the 3.5L Ecoboost. I know very little about Fords other than the fact they are significantly more affordable than Tahoes and Yukons. Are there any major defects in the 3.5 Ecoboost or their 6 speed transmission that would keep someone from buying it? It has 65k miles and will be driven about 25K per year and very rarely be hooked to an 18' carhauler with a Jeep and/or 800S.

Great vehicle. We bought a '15 model early this year and sold my wife's '07 Tahoe. The Expedition has a nicer ride, a bit more room and much better feeling torque in my opinion. Yes the Expeditions are $4-5K less overall. I don't think there is anything to worry about on that 3.5 or transmission. The tow rating is not high at all, I think it was around 6K but ours will never pull much at all.

No experience with the Ecoboost in a Expedition, but a friend has had the Ecoboost motors in his F150's since they first came out and he's loved them. First was a 2012ish truck and second is a 2018ish truck. Had no issues with either truck, but it was his daily driver and rarely towed more than 2500 pounds.

Buddy has a 2015 Expedition with the 3.5 Ecoboost. Chronic problems. Coil packs are constantly dying. Its drinking coolant. And there is a leak on the turbo oil line at the turbo. Seems most of the expeditions will experience one of the 3 problems at some point but he got lucky and got all 3.

Buddy has a 2015 Expedition with the 3.5 Ecoboost. Chronic problems. Coil packs are constantly dying. Its drinking coolant. And there is a leak on the turbo oil line at the turbo. Seems most of the expeditions will experience one of the 3 problems at some point but he got lucky and got all 3.
That means there are two expeditions out there without any problems.

Buddy of mine had a F150 with the 3.5 Ecoshit. He was constantly having issues with random misfire codes and replaced coil packs constantly, but coukd not get rid of it. So then started looking elsewhere, figured out the the intercooler had alot of oil in it from the turbos. Which was fouling spark plugs, hence the random misfire. Drilled a hole in the intercooler to let the oil drain out, put a pipe plug in it then went right away and traded it in.

We had an ecoboost escape, bought it with 32k, sold it with 150k. Never had an issue. EXCEPT I'm convinced the turbo seals were shot. If It sat over the weekend or more than it would smoke out the entire driveway on first start up. I thought the trans was going cause it felt like shifts were hanging up. Come to find out those are prone for motor mounts to go. Replaced them and good as new.
We sold it and bought almost exactly what you're looking for. '15 explorer. Sport Awd 6 spd auto model. So far we absolutely love it. Bought it with 24k on it and are up to about 50k.

Buddy of mine had a F150 with the 3.5 Ecoshit. He was constantly having issues with random misfire codes and replaced coil packs constantly, but coukd not get rid of it. So then started looking elsewhere, figured out the the intercooler had alot of oil in it from the turbos. Which was fouling spark plugs, hence the random misfire. Drilled a hole in the intercooler to let the oil drain out, put a pipe plug in it then went right away and traded it in.

Hope he didnt make the mistake of trading it in on one of those raggedy ass Dodges.

My dad just retired from 50+ years in the car business. I mentioned an expedition and he sent me a number And said call him and talk to him. I thought cool pops is giving me the hookup.....nope. Ford service writer who literally said "It will have one of 3 problems and the trans will go out at some point especially if you haul much but bring it to me and I'll take care of it." He mentioned the three problems above and then told me he knows my dad because he buys a new Tahoe from him every 2 years.:ROFLMAO:

We have a 2020 F150 with the 10 speed automatic and it seems to have plenty of power. I will be towing my jeep willy's truck to TN in a few weeks and will see how it tows going up Monteagle or whatever its called. They do have a huge recall due to the rear camera system not working and I am part of that crowd.

My wife is looking at a 2015 Expedition with the 3.5L Ecoboost. I know very little about Fords other than the fact they are significantly more affordable than Tahoes and Yukons. Are there any major defects in the 3.5 Ecoboost or their 6 speed transmission that would keep someone from buying it? It has 65k miles and will be driven about 25K per year and very rarely be hooked to an 18' carhauler with a Jeep and/or 800S.
I had a 2013 F150 with the same set up. Power was impressive, but mileage was very bad unless you're doing 60 mph without a headwind in Kansas. I was talked into it by a dealer after owning two 3/4 ton diesels. Averaged 13 mpg over 29000 miles which was worse than the lifted 6.7 Powerstroke that I have now. Went on a fishing trip with a friend who had the 5.0 in the same truck. I followed him and got 4 mpg less. My brother and father both have F150's with the ecoboost and 10 speed transmission and love them. Brother has 35" tires and averages 17 mpg as he put's it "driving like an asshole." I would take the Expedition in a heartbeat for a family vehicle if it had the 10 speed.

we have a crap ton of kids so we ordered a fully loaded 12pass van with the ecoboost back in Sept 2017. Definitely not a church van. Plenty of power, my wife mainly drives it like she is racing home to go pee all the time. Gas mileage with her driving it like that is about 16mpg. I have got 20.5 treating it a little better. We have taken it on dirt bike trips with 7 bikes on a 16ft trailer and had no issues with power pulling the trailer and loaded with gear and people. We get between 13.5 & 14 on those trips.

No issues with the ecoboost at just over 60K, but the sync with NAV was definitely not worth the $1000 upgrade that we now have to have some part replaced at $1000 because the touch screen has a huge delay in it.

My brother has an F150 Eco without any issues. I think it's a 13' but anyhow, no issues with the motor. He has a transfercase issue which had to be repaired under warranty and was minor, but other than that it has been great.

Latest posts