• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

3" Body Lift Causing Long Transfer Case Shifter Throw. Any fixes?

Mmaloneyx2

Im restoring a 93 yj with a 355 sbc, turbo 400, dana 20 transfer, dana 44 axles. and 39.5" swampers. I just got finished patching up the original hole in the tub where the manual transmission and transfer case shifters were located and rhino lined the interior of the tub. I cut a few holes and mounted up my b&m shifter for the turbo 400 just fine, but ran into a problem with the transfer case shifter. I started to cut a hole in the floor for the shifter but because of the 3" body lift, the shifter has an exceptionally long throw. 6.5-6.75" to be exact to go backwards from 2H to 4H. Probably has a 3-4 " side throw and the same 6.5" to 6.75" throw forward to get to 4L. This is going to cause another big hole in the floor, and I doubt the rubber boot will let the shifter move and stay in gear that far forward or back and cause the transfer case to not stay in gear. Has anyone else had this problem? Any solutions? My two options that I see are go ahead and cut the big hole in the floor, cover it with the boot, and modify the boot some how to let it throw the shifter as far as it needs, or fab up a twin stick, and I know the throw will be the same length but maybe the twin stick boot (which I have laying around) will let the shifter throw as far as it needs. Let me know if anyone has ran into this situation and what they've done. Thanks in advance.

If it were me I would twin stick the t-case. Smaller hole and more options in the case.

2 options... If it were me I'd 86 the ::) 3" body lift so fast it'd make ur head spin and either drop to 35's or cut/highline fenders to clear.

Since I'm guessing you won't like that option then you can simply toss the stock shifter and get a cable shifter n cruise the mall n mud holes the same day. booyang

Im not a big fan of the body lift either, it just came with the good deal I got on the jeep. Just trying to get a decent fix that will look good and be functional. Still have body work, paint, roll cage to go in, and stuff like that to do so I didn't want to be stuck on this too long before summer rolls around. I'll look for a cable shifter. Any ideas on where to get one? I wouldn't mind cutting the fenders but I have to pass W.V. inspection which I have a set of 31" BFG All Terrains for. Also not looking to drop tire size. Working on a low budget and this is just a toy. Thanks for the quick responses.

if you buid your jeep around a 3" body lift... it will be that much more of a pain in the ass to change it later... if your not big on body lifts ...who is ... take it out now...

Ill eventually get rid of the body lift, but for now (being the broke college student I am) it'll have to stay. Have bigger problems to worry about right now. Lol. Thanks for everyone's replies. Looking into the cable shifters now. Talked to jon at jb fab, Supposedly The dana 300 cable shifter will fit the dana 20. Only downside is like $270 price but I'm sure its worth it.

Latest posts